Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Volume control options > playback devices doesn't list my headphones just sp

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Volume control options > playback devices doesn't list my headphones just sp within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, my speakers play sound but when I plug the headphones into the master speaker on the right it doesn't

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, my speakers play sound but when I plug the headphones into the master speaker on the right it doesn't play audio anymore through the headphones. I tried several pair, one even brand new and no luck, however when anything is plugged in the audio stops. I tried plugging them into the back of the desktop and the front even but none of the 3.5mm audio jacks seem to want to allow Windows 7 to recognize the head phones.

My son is playing some browser game and it's driving me mad to have to listen to it in the back round and was hoping someone could help me navigate the volume control options in Windows 7 so I could fix this for myself, thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

First thing, are you sure that the jack on your speaker system works?

Next, I would advise you reinstall your sound driver.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post

Nope, I'm not sure. But it worked yesterday and all the ports on the desktop itself worked too.

Thank you, I'll install the driver before I leave for work in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:

The little port for plugging headphones into the speakers does work, I gave it a test on another machine and my two pair of headphones also work as well.

I reinstalled the sound driver and I've had no luck with that sadly.

When that didn't work I unplugged the speakers and plugged the headphones straight into the machine itself and that also didn't help any, the headphones just dont' want to be detected.

This wouldn't be a hardware issue, would it?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

So the sound driver has been reinstalled and you reboot the system, correct?

And the speakers work normally when plugged into the PC, but when using headphones in either the audio jack on the speakers or in the audio port in the motherboard, they do not work?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
So the sound driver has been reinstalled and you reboot the system, correct?

And the speakers work normally when plugged into the PC, but when using headphones in either the audio jack on the speakers or in the audio port in the motherboard, they do not work?
Yep, you got it
Old 09-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

Hi--it's a quirky problem alright. 1st thing I would suggest is to "rollback" your Windows7 to a time when you remember your headphones working. This could be anywhere from yesterday to 5 months ago-but no further. Use SYSTEM RESTORE to do this. This often fixes this type of problem.

If this fails to fix the problem, you might also have a virus problem. Visit our Virus/Malware Help forum see in my signature below to rule that out.

If neither of those work, we might need to do some troubleshooting to eliminate possible hardware faults inside your computer. Also Make/Model of your computer would be helpful.

Lastly, you didn't say whether your Windows7 had SP1 installed or not. If not, try installing SP1; that frequently fixes driver problems on audio and video.

BIGBEARJEDI
Old 09-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEARJEDI View Post
Hi--it's a quirky problem alright. 1st thing I would suggest is to "rollback" your Windows7 to a time when you remember your headphones working. This could be anywhere from yesterday to 5 months ago-but no further. Use SYSTEM RESTORE to do this. This often fixes this type of problem.

If this fails to fix the problem, you might also have a virus problem. Visit our Virus/Malware Help forum see in my signature below to rule that out.

If neither of those work, we might need to do some troubleshooting to eliminate possible hardware faults inside your computer. Also Make/Model of your computer would be helpful.

Lastly, you didn't say whether your Windows7 had SP1 installed or not. If not, try installing SP1; that frequently fixes driver problems on audio and video.

BIGBEARJEDI
Damn, I disable system restore. I've got SP1 installed and I'm fully up to date on all the other updates, I make it a point to always update my image back ups after patch Tuesday. My AV is also up to date and I do a scan two or three times a week then shut down the PC (kids, you never know) and then I only use a limited user account just like him and I only ever log into the admin account to update software or install software.

However I have a second hard drive with only data on it and I also leave a system recovery image of the operating system on it, I updated the day before this problem occurred. I'll flash boot into my recovery disc and restore the image, but I was really hoping I could solve this so I would at least know how to navigate the volume control options in case this ever happened again (and I didn't want to lose a day's worth of Fate: Undiscovered Realms game play which I also didn't want to admit to )

I'll see if I can extract my save and hold it on the storage hard drive and then flash the image back onto the C: drive, but like I said the recovery image was made the same day or day after this started.

Could it be conflicts with I my printer drivers (which is why I made the recovery image)?

Anyways, I'll flash the recovery image in about five hours and let you know how it went, thanks again BigBearJedi & MasterChief
Old 09-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

I also don't know what kind of computer it is. I know the processor and graphics card installed along with how much ram is installed and how much it'll support, but nothing more. The S/N number wore off of it because it was one of the sticker types and I was never able to figure out the exact specs, if I have to I'll hunt those all down if the system image doesn't help us. I never paid much attention to it's specs because it's just a computer that sits in the living room that only he or I uses, everyone else insists on privacy
Old 09-30-2014, 06:20 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:

BIGBEARJEDI
It's got to be something with the speakers, because I did a clean install a few moments ago to test and no luck. Then I though, ''Unplug the speakers then plug in the head phones to the mobo port.''

They work. Not ideal but better than hearing a ton of noise on top of vroom vroom sounds. I wish I could get the port attached to the speaker itself to work also but oh well.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi Matt:
Thanks for your posts back. Well, we seemed to have solved the original problem anyway, eh?

In my experience if that computer is old enough to have the name stickers peeled off it could have a legit hardware failure; certainly not uncommon in older computers.

A couple more possibilities if you wish to pursue the speaker problem. I believe you said you had tested your speakers on another working computer and they were ok right? If so, it could be the audio onboard chip on the Motherboard, or it could be a faulty connector jack on the back of the speaker connector going to the sound card or into the Motherboard sound circuitry. This is usually not repairable, but if it's a discrete sound card *like a SoundBlaster; you can easily remove if from the PC and replace it with a similar model probably under $50 on ebay*. However, I've never seen a computer where a headphone jack will work but NOT the speakers. Are those speakers you are intending on using, passive or active speakers? (Passive means they are not externally powered via USB or they are battery powered; Active means they have a separate AC adapter which plugs into an AC wall outlet to power the speakers).

99% of the time if you get an audio signal of the headphone jack, both headphones and speakers should work. Sometimes, though, with discrete sound cards (forgot to ask, do you have one of these in your PC or is your audio embedded in your Motherboard?) they will have 2 jacks; 1 specifically for headphones, and another 1 specifically for speakers. They have slightly different impedance ratings; as the sound card companies are afraid that if people try to listen to extreme high volumes of sound like the speakers can produce in their headphones, they could possibly blow out their eardrums. This actually has happened in a few cases many years ago, so the designers incorporated a safety valve by reducing headphone jack impedances. Often the 3.5mm female audio connector jacks are green for speakers and blue for headphones. Have you TRIED your speakers in all the 3.5mm female audio jacks on the back of your PC *but NOT the red one, as it's for a mic input!*???? I have seen a number of these, and it's crazy but that's how they designed it. Worth a shot, eh?

Very glad you got your headphones to work!

BBJ
Old 09-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Are those speakers you are intending on using, passive or active speakers? (Passive means they are not externally powered via USB or they are battery powered; Active means they have a separate AC adapter which plugs into an AC wall outlet to power the speakers).

(forgot to ask, do you have one of these in your PC or is your audio embedded in your Motherboard?) they will have 2 jacks; 1 specifically for headphones, and another 1 specifically for speakers.
I think it's the speakers acting up, because just before I replaced the passive speakers for an active set I had just bought, the passive (original) speakers worked with the headphones. However I just threw them away anyways because they're as old as the machine itself and with your tips I've eliminated almost everything except hardware failure and my new speakers working just fine from WalMart (his headphones wouldn't sit right on his head unless they were plugged into the speakers, not the machine itself, so I just bought new speakers) kinda seals it in my head that it was the speakers at fault.

I have a handful of machines but it's nice that he has something he can browse the internet with while I stand over his shoulder, so I keep this one. I'm glad it's not starting to show it's age yet because it has funky drivers that don't sit well with a light Linux distro and it defeats the purpose of installing them unlike some other computers.

Perhaps it wasn't getting enough juice, that's where it seemed like you were headed there for a moment

Thanks for sharing that wealth of information by the way.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

You're welcome!

Have a Good one!
BBJ
Closed Thread