Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] USB, hard drive issues and auto run issues

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] USB, hard drive issues and auto run issues within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. On my laptop which is now about 6 years old I have been experiencing a few issues. First as the

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

On my laptop which is now about 6 years old I have been experiencing a few issues. First as the laptop is so old it has seen its fair amount of system restores but one thing I have been noticing is that my hard drive space is disappearing. The laptop started with 160gb (shows how old it is) split 80gb between the different partitions but now it only has 69.5gb per partition, so does anyone have any clue how to restore the space?

The second problem I am having is with installing my printers, I have successfully installed two wireless printers on my desktop pc but when it comes to connecting to the printer I must first setup a temporary link with a usb to one of the printers but when I connect them together it does not pick it up. But if I plug other devices in then run fine, anyone got any ideas?

The last issue I am having seems to be some sort of autorun problem, for example when I insert a install disc the autorun box pops up but does not display the install and I only have the option the view all of the files so I have to find the setup application within the disc myself. Any ideas?

I know I am asking about a lot of issues but any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi try this for auto run Fix Windows 7 AutoPlay Dialog Box Missing or Not Appear, Display and Pop Up My Digital Life
for question one are you saying you have 69.5 gb free on each drive partition
on question 3 did you install the driver for the printer which is the default

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

For the hard drives it's the total size of the partitions I am talking about not the available space. Also for the printers I have used the install discs to install the software needed to install the printers but when it comes to installing them they cannot be detected. On a related note with the autorun when I place the install discs in my laptop I get the autorun box but there is no run setup option so I must browse through all of the files to find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Ok windows never shows the correct size something to do with how it calculates the space,with the printers are they compatible with your version of windows ie driver etc
did you check the link for auto runs

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yes the printers are definitely compatible as I have had them connected before, the only reason they were disconnected is because of a system restore I performed. Also yes I checked the link and I have done everything it says but autorun still does not work correctly.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi-

HDD manufactures and MS disagree on how large a gigabyte is.... HDD manufactures go by 1000 megabytes. MS and other operating systems (and the language of computers- binary) states that it is 1024 megabytes per gigabyte.

May not seem like much, but it adds up. HDD manufactures do this because the number of gigabytes seem larger than it is...

Regards,

Mark
Closed Thread