Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Soundrecorder.exe Froze While Saving - Where is file???

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Soundrecorder.exe Froze While Saving - Where is file??? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I just finished recording an important family discussion using the regular old basic soundrecorder in Vista. I clicked "stop

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I just finished recording an important family discussion using the regular old basic soundrecorder in Vista. I clicked "stop recording" which brought up the SAVE dialog and just at that moment, Google Chrome, which I also had open, crashed and my recording save dialog went white and the title bar said "not responding". The save dialog went white just as I clicked "Save" after entering a filename.

I let it just sit there and churn for 1/2 an hour. No progress. I launched Task Manager to try and shut down Chrome and Task Manager crashed "not responding". So, right now, after 2 hours, I still have a 'not responding' message on Chrome, Task Manager, and Soundrecorder, and Windows Explorer too because I started to look for the soundrecorder temp file (not knowing what I was looking for) and it crashed too.

I need to find out WHERE, and under what type of file name and extension, soundrecorder.exe saves files that are in progress and not yet saved to a .wma file type.

I've searched google, bing, microsoft.com, and several other places and have come up empty.

I really can't afford to lose this file. I have not yet even shut down the machine - it just sitting there with the spinning blue circle cursor and half a dozen white out not-responding windows.

PLEASE help?

And...if someone is able to help me FIND the file, what will I be able to do with it when I find it?

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who may try to help.

Machine is Dell Inspiron 1420, Vista Home Premium (up to date with auto update).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi -

I ran several tests w/ SoundRecorder then ran another app to summarize hard drive write byte totals. The largest file written to - and the one to look for will be named similar to --> c:\users\username\appdata\temp\ART5A0.tmp

Run this -
START | type cmd.exe into the Start Search box | RIGHT-click on cmd.exe | select "Run as Administrator"

Paste this command into the screen -
Code:

copy "%temp%\ART*.*" "%userprofile%\documents" 
Look in your Documents folder for a file with the prefix "ART", the date/ time of the freeze and it should be around 75mb if my math is correct. Re-name the file with a .wma file extension. Then click on it and see if WMP plays it. I tested this by crashing SoundRecorder - the temp file was saved as SoundRecorder crashed. The one major difference in my test from your situation is that I killed the SoundRecorder.exe application and had control of the system the whole time.

The file analysis is in the screenshot.

Try it and see.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-29-10g7n.jpg
Views:	1378
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	64903  
Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Hey jcgriff2,

Can't thank you enough for the time you took to figure out the answer to this problem. I spent ages searching for a "changed file" and didn't come up with a thing, but you figured it out. The file was named exactly as you described, I found it, changed the extension to .wma and it worked perfectly. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Cheers,
Buck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

You are most welcome.

It is always fun for me to get into new territory.

For info, Chrome has been causing problems lately for some. I can't say for sure that Chrome caused the crash, but I would advise next time to shut down Internet screens.

Also - check Problem Reports & Solutions - see if info on crash of S/R is there.
START | wercon | "View Problem History"

THANK YOU for letting me know this worked out.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Registered Member

Wow...thanks so much for this post!! I also had a recording that was so important. I lost the recording after "blue screen of death" happened.

I am using Window 7. I was able to retrieve the recording based upon the ART*.* search in my appdata files! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Old 09-21-2010, 02:11 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrooster View Post
Wow...thanks so much for this post!! I also had a recording that was so important. I lost the recording after "blue screen of death" happened.

I am using Window 7. I was able to retrieve the recording based upon the ART*.* search in my appdata files! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
If you are having a lot of problems with Blue Screens - follow these https://www.techsupportforum.com/f217...ml#post2545708 and create a new thread, we will see if we can help you figure it out.
Closed Thread