Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Run as Administrator?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Run as Administrator? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I posted few days ago about running Quickbooks Pro in Windows 7 Home Premium and was advised to "run as

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I posted few days ago about running Quickbooks Pro in Windows 7 Home Premium and was advised to "run as Administrator".

That works, but I have to run it "as administrator" every time, and it asks if I want to let this software change the computer.

Is that ever normal?

Can that be reset somehow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I believe that is not normal.

Have you purchased Quickbooks? Or did you download it from a torrent site (Cracked)?

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

We use Quickbooks Pro with Windows 7 and there is no need to run as administrator . . what issue are you having?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

2002 Pro I was given an original CD, with installation keys, registration codes, etc.

The only issue is that I have to run it as Administrator every time.

I put in on an XP Pro machine as well and it does not have that issue.

Both updated properly, without objection.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #5

My System

I use this method with a few programs that I trust so I will not get the UAC Prompt every time.

Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create - Windows 7 Forums

1. Open the Start Menu, then type taskschd.msc in the search line and press enter.
NOTE: This will open Task Scheduler. This file is located at:
C:\Windows\system32\taskschd.msc.

2. While having Task Scheduler Library selected in the left pane, click on Create task in the far right pane.

3. Under the General tab, type in the "Name" of the program you want to create this shortcut for.
NOTE: This will be the name of the task. As an example, I will use CCleaner for that program. Make note of this name, you will need it later in step 12 below.

4. Check the Run with highest privileges box.

5. Click on the Configure for drop down box to open it, and select Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2.
NOTE: This is like compatibility mode. If the program does not support running in Windows 7 normally, then you can select the OS that is does support running in instead to have it run in compatibility mode as if it was running in that OS instead of Windows 7.

6. Click on the Actions tab, then on the New button.

7. Under "Action", select Start a program and click on the Browse button.

8. Navigate to the .exe file of the program that you want to create this shortcut for, then select it and click on Open.

9. Click on OK.

10. Click on the Conditions tab, and uncheck the Stop if the computer switches to battery power box first, then uncheck the Start the task only if the computer is on AC power box.
NOTE: This step is mostly for laptops, so that you will be able to run the program when the laptop is running on battery power.

11. Click on OK.

12. You will now see your new task created with the name (ex: CCleaner) you gave it in step 3. Close Task Schedular.

13. Right click on a empty area of the desktop, then click on New and Shortcut.

14. Type in schtasks /run /tn task-name for the location, then click on the Next button.(See below tip)
-------------------------------------
Tip
Subsitute task-name with the name that you used in step 3 and see in step 12 (ex: CCleaner).
NOTE: Note the space after schtasks, run, and tn in the commands below.

For a Name without Spaces - For example, type:

schtasks /run /tn CCleaner

For a Name with Spaces - You will need to have quotes around the name if it has spaces. For example, type:

schtasks /run /tn "Cleaner Program"
-------------------------------------
15. Type in a name you want for the shortcut (ex: CCleaner), then click on the Finish button.

16. Right click on the new shortcut (ex: CCleaner) on the desktop, then click on Properties.

17. Click on the Shortcut tab and on the Change Icon button.

18. Click on OK.

19. Click on the Browse button.

20. Navigate to the .exe file of the program that you have created this shortcut with, then select it and click on Open.
NOTE: If you have a icon of your own that you would prefer to use instead, then navigate to where you have that icon saved at instead.

21. Select the icon you want for the shortcut, then click on OK.

23. You can now run at startup as a task, Pin to Start Menu, Pin to Taskbar this shortcut, or move to where you like for easy use.

24. When you run this new elevated shortcut, you will now no longer have to click on YES to approve the UAC prompt to allow the program run as administrator.

Tip
To Undo and Remove this Task:
* While having Task Scheduler Library selected in the left pane, right click on the task in the right pane that you created in step 12, then click on Delete and Yes to approve.
* Delete the shortcut.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Apparently only version 2007 and higher will work on Windows 7 without running as Administrator, or you can try these steps. https://www.vistax64.com/vista-genera...-ms-vista.html
Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

O Goody! A nice simple 24 step adjustment! Did that come from Microsoft?

But the replies gave me the idea to look in "properties>Compatibility"

where I tried to set it to
XP SP3,
XP SP3 plus run as Administrator,

The only way it work is simply "run as Administrator".

It still asks if I will let the program change the computer, but I don't have to remember to right click for that program.

Thanks I'll give up now.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #8
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, did you read the link posted by Spunk Funk? If you create a desktop shortcut to Quickbooks then right click on this shortcut select "Properties" then click on the advanced tab put a check in "run as administrator".
Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, did you read the link posted by Spunk Funk? If you create a desktop shortcut to Quickbooks then right click on this shortcut select "Properties" then click on the advanced tab put a check in "run as administrator".
Yes that is exactly what I said I did.
I tried to get the W7 machine to replicate XP but that did not work.

It runs fine on a real XP machine.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #10
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi I will point out what has been mentioned already the program was not meant for win 7 so you will get some issues running it

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Hi I will point out what has been mentioned already the program was not meant for win 7 so you will get some issues running it
I understand. Microsoft owns Intuit, but can't make their own operating system backward compatible to their own software. What message should I learn form this?

BTW I still use a piece of CAD software that was developed for Windows 3.1. But I know how to use it.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

You need to take that up with MS or Intuit it is up to them to either update the program which they probably have and want you to buy it or make the os backward compatible with a 9 year old program which they have not either way your no better off

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread