Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Network Connection Issues After Win. Update

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Network Connection Issues After Win. Update within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. As you may have surmised, I updated Vista a couple of days ago with the most recent update (I don't

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #1

As you may have surmised, I updated Vista a couple of days ago with the most recent update (I don't remember exactly what I updated). I simply followed the recommended links, etc. Following that, I updated ZoneAlarm, also.

The day after the update, I noted that zone alarm was no longer on my computer (can't find it anywhere) and I no longer have the ability to connect to the internet. When I look at the Network Center and diagnose the problem the errors that come up are "the NVIDIA nForce Network controller is having having hardware or driver related issues" and "the Broadcom 802.11b WLAN is having hardware or driver related issues." I checked the WLAN switch....it's on.

For the life of me I can't figure out what's up. I checked on the drivers: I looked for an update on the computer and it says that both devices are running the optimal drivers.

Any ideas????

joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #2

Make sure your wireless card isn't turned off in bios and see if there's any remnants of zone alarm as that'll lock things down. Also, make sure windows firewall is off.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #3

Windows Firewall is off... double checked that. How should I go about checking for remnants of zonealarm???? I've looked under "add/remove programs" and under all the headings that I think make sense... any suggestions are helpful.

I'll check the bios... Just so I'm clear: what am I looking for in the bios?

joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #4

You're looking to see if your WLAN is enabled, not sure where it will be exactly, but it shouldn't be hard to find. I would open regedit and search the registry for "zone alarm" and delete whatever you find. And make sure you clear msconfig and prefetch to make sure it's all gone there too!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #5

Checked the Bios (it wasn't what I was expecting... it's PhoenixBios which is a little different than other computers I've worked on). I enabled "Internal Network Adapter Booting" which was all I found regarding networking... didn't see any headings for "WLAN."

This didn't solve the problem. Is there any other location where my internal wireless card could have been switched off (or something to that effect)?

I will run regedit and perform the other recommended steps later on.

Thanks for your help... I need more!

joe
Old 03-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #6

Ok. Used regedit to get rid of all "zone labs" related stuff. Didn't help.

I will run msconfig next... what is prefetch?

So far, I'm not very hopeful. Any other ideas? Can you at least tell me what you think is going on?

This is truly driving me nuts.

joe
Old 03-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #7

I just wanted to post an update: I ran "Windows recovery" (one feature I do love about Vista) and simply reset all the changes I had made that resulted in the networking failures. Obviously, now it works.

joe
Closed Thread