Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] mysterious object on screen

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] mysterious object on screen within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have two screens and on my secondary screen dead centre is a small black rectangle. This is whether or

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have two screens and on my secondary screen dead centre is a small black rectangle. This is whether or not I have a destop background image or colour set but any application window opens on top of it.

This is an enhanced capture of it
https://briansphotoblog.com/miscimages/mystery.jpg

As you can see I hope, there are two back/forward buttons just visible. I had Catalyst running but removed it and the problem persists. Changing the image background has no effect.

Win 7 64bit, Radeon HD 5700 Series 1Gb Screen=AOC 2236 1920x1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Does changing the primary solve the problem? Also, a bit off the subject, but many have found the 24" LCD as a better replacement for a dual setup.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

I've swapped primaries and the problem vanishes and reappears when I revert.

The AOC is just a legacy screen, my main screen is the HP LP247w which is excellent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I take it using in the "reverse" mode is unsatisfactory for your needs. Just a guess: what about aero and screen compatibility?

Old 12-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Nope, turning Aero off has no effect. It isn't a real problem since any program I display on that screen "covers it up", it's only visible on the desktop. But it's a real puzzle, especially as the box appear to be from some sort of application with those two arrows in it. It's like something left over from an application. Possibly stuck in a cache somewhere? A real mystery!
Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Even though it's only on one monitor, you could still try messing around with the Desktop Display Settings. If you've been around computers long enough, you know anything is possible.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

I've removed the AOC monitor driver and allowed Win7 to use its generic. I've tried running at different res. I've tried with and without Catalyst. I've added the AOC icm profile and then removed it. I've used Device Manager to play with drivers.

I'm inclined to think a crashing application has left some trace of itself in the video card ram itself? Is this possible? I never power off completely so will try that next, otherwise I'm at a loss.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
Registered Member

Just had a play and found that if I tried to drag a desktop icon across the dark object my mouse pointer turns to the no-entry pointer.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Something is obviously there, but you don't need me to tell you that. What doesn't make sense is it being only on that monitor and not when switching primaries. One thought comes to mind. Are you using any special dual monitor software?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Registered Member

Nope, just windows auto detecting them. I'm going to run a registry cleaner. My Trend virus etc protection doesn't report anything.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Registered Member

I did a reg clean and also removed the latest mouse driver (part of an auto windows update which I suspected). Anyway, rebooted and noted that the object wasn't there immediately the desktop appeared but appeared a several seconds later after the eggtimer device had finally finished turning. This pins it down to something that windows delays for a few seconds to pretend the desktop has loaded faster than it really does or an app I've installed which sometimes has the option to delay initialisation for a fixed time.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
Registered Member

This is getting silly. I decided to try Safe mode. But on pressing F8 all I get is a list of drives to boot from which includes an item Windows Boot Manager. No options for Safe Mode. Further, it will then only boot if I select boot manager, not if I select the listed boot drive.

My BIOs or strictly my EFI (?) setup screen allows me to set the drives in boot order but also includes Boot Manager which always seems to reset itself as the default! (ASUS mobo P8P67)
Old 12-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Did an icon add in the tray or flash or spin during the time you're referring to? Thinking firewall or AV.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Try Run>msconfig and hit boot tab and select Safe Mode Boot

Old 12-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

In addition with the safe boot in msconfig, you can check out your services tab and try running only the Microsoft services. Turn all other services off, and reboot.

If it doesn't show up, then go back into the services tab and turn your services back on one at a time to see which one it is.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #16
Registered Member

OK the shape doesn't appear in minimal nor diagnostic safemode. In normal bootup the shape appears about 10 secs after the last of the system tray icons, the last of which to appear is a clipboard substitute called clipcache which has only been installed since the shape appeared.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #17
Registered Member

Looked at Services. Only found two running that are clearly not MS - bluetooth and Intel Rapid Storage. Disabled both and rebooted but no change. There were also three motherboard services (Asus HM Com etc) which I don't think I could boot if turned off? Oh and couldn't turn off my Tred virus protection service as it wouldn't let me.

I'm pretty sure the appearance of the shape coincided with a big MS update a couple of weeks ago incl SP1.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:42 AM   #18
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, I would run a chkdsk on the drive open a cmd prompt as admin and run chkdsk/r. Do not run reg cleaners, they cause more problems then they solve.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:54 AM   #19
Registered Member

SORTED!

The culprit is the ASUS motherboard AI Suite II application vers 1.02.22

The block disapeared as soon as I opened the app by clicking its system bar icon! When I closed it the object did not reappear.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.
Closed Thread