Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Laptop Plugged in not Charging

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Laptop Plugged in not Charging within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I need help with my laptop not charging. Its an Inspiron 17r se which recently has stopped charging when plugged

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

I need help with my laptop not charging. Its an Inspiron 17r se which recently has stopped charging when plugged in. I have tried all the solutions I have found and the laptops only 1.5 years old. I've also noticed that it stopped charging when I installed the trial version of adobe After effects.
Extra info: The battery is currently at 32% and stable when I have the laptop plugged in but when not plugged in the battery works like normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Typically charging is dealt by the BIOS.

You may want to attempt downloading and installing the newest BIOS. Ensure you are using the CORRECT BIOS before performing the update.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Software has nothing to do with charging.
Either the battery is dying and will not accept a recharge. Of the power adapter or the charging port is not working correctly. Probably the battery, try a different battery, if that doesn't work then try a new power adapter. All else fails, you may need to get the charging port re-soldered to your motherboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 12:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi tried to Update the BIOS and at first it said Error 216 - failed to read BIOS from ROM! Status = 1604
I tried once again and it said error on line-105

I haven't been able to find the solution to this on other forums or sites
Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Charging has very little to do with the Bios. Charging is usually caused by the Battery being weak and needing to be replaced, or the charging port on the motherboard needing to be re-soldered to the the motherboard.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Batteries that fail to charge are caused either by a bad connection, adapter, BIOS, or by over charging battery. Some people make the mistake by leaving the adapter plugged in all the time as the laptop is being used. While the battery is being charged it also is being discharged drained more being discharged than being chraged. This can ruin the battery. I tell people if they are to use the adapter all the time remove the battery it is not needed.

How are you going about Flashing BIOS which method?

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi actually unless the bios update specifically tells you it is there to sort out your issue there may be little point in doing it,you should only update the bios if it will fix an issue.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
Registered Member

OS: Win 7 64Bit Ultimate; Linux Ubuntu 14.04; Linux Mint Cinnamon 17; MS Srv 2K3, 2K8, XP SP3 Oracle VM.

Send a message via Skype™ to BosPatrollie

If the battery stays on e.g 32% when the charger is connected, but doesn't take new charge, i.e the % of power doesn't increase above 32%, then I have found over the years that the problem usually lies with a faulty charger.

Start off by downloading and running HWMonitor from here: HWMonitor CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting - on the right-hand side of the page you'll see the options to download the latest version: 1.25 Setup or 1.25ZIP. Download either of these and run the appropriate one for you system (32 bit or 64 bit).

Note: You must have Admin rights in order to Run it successfully and for it to be able to access all relevant sections and show the information.

Make a screenshot of the results (battery levels are usually the last result shown) on here and we can take it from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWMonitor Download Link.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	188577  
Old 08-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
Registered Member

My laptop is finally charging I had to backup what i wanted on my laptop and re install windows after i found that it wasn't the hardware or didn't seem to be. It worked though now i can only charge when i have no programs open or the laptop is shutdown. I needed to clean my laptop anyway. Though thanks for the support
Old 08-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Glad to hear that!
Old 08-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
Registered Member

OS: Win 7 64Bit Ultimate; Linux Ubuntu 14.04; Linux Mint Cinnamon 17; MS Srv 2K3, 2K8, XP SP3 Oracle VM.

Send a message via Skype™ to BosPatrollie

Happy days.
Closed Thread