Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] internet is chaotic

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] internet is chaotic within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. MY internet is unbearably slow. I'm running an Acer Aspire 5310. it's connected via wi-fi to a router and then

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

Evil

MY internet is unbearably slow. I'm running an Acer Aspire 5310. it's connected via wi-fi to a router and then to the internet. The internet isn't sluggish, because I've watched slugs and they get more done in five minutes than this thing can in 30. It took me that long to get to this page. our household runs 4 computers: this one with vista, an HP PC with XP, a laptop from toshiba with XP and an Asus desktop with Vista. The two vista machines are the most chaotic on the internet, but this is the worst. Both the systems with XP have no problems. On this laptop, a bubble appears almost every 30 seconds which reads "Acer eNet Management Internet Disconnected" and then a little later "Internet Connected". Even when this cycle isn't happening, any webpage can take whole minutes to load. I don't know how to isolate the problem, so any suggestions would really help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Hi. . .

1st some business - I deleted your other thread as it was a duplicate of this with an additional sentence or two. No problem...

So there are 2 Vista systems that are slow for Internet connectivity. Let's work on the newest one first - your choice. It is important - please - that we deal with one at a time.

The first thing I would like for you to do is to boot into SAFEMODE w/ Networking - tap the F8 key repeatedly during boot-up. Select SAFEMODE w/ Networking and it will take you to the logon screen. Log in as usual. The screen may appear distorted - that's OK.

At desktop - go into IE7 and surf the net. Is this any faster?

While in SAFEMODE, download SysInternals Live AutoRuns and SAVE it to your DOCUMENTS folder. Then download the attached zip file and extract the 1 file in it to your DESKTOP. Now re-boot and go into Normal Windows Vista.

Go to your desktop, RIGHT-click on the batch file and select Run as Administrator. Several screens will appear over a 5 minute period - just let it run - please don't touch any keys or the mouse. Upon completion, go to your documents folder and you will find a new folder named TSF_Vista_Support. Zip up the entire folder and attach to your next post.

2 other items that I would like for you to do while in normal slow-internet Vista - instead of left-clicking on the IE7 icon, right-click and select Run as Administrator. Any faster than usual?

Next - START | type internet into the start search box | under Programs up-top you should see "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" - left click on it. Type a web address in and surf the net. Is this any faster?

Any ? - please let me know.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 11-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'm going to write this reply as I follow your steps. I might note, which I should have done originally, that I'm using Home Premium. I booted in safe mode with networking. I know that I have connected to the router, but I can't open any webpages. On to the next step.

I'm going to download the two items on this computer because the Acer isn't doing any internet atm. I have now transfered them and I am running the batch file.

At this point there is window asking for my agreement to AutoRuns License Agreement. I will click agree. I have clicked agree. Ok, it's done and I have attachted the folder.

Note: in normal vista mode, internet is working fine.

I'm not given an option to run IE as administrator.

using the no add-on option is wokring fine, but at the moment the internet is fine in general. Unfortunately it's very erratic so I can't tell at this time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip (1.78 MB, 38 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 03:02 AM   #4
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi. . .

Thanks for running the batch file and getting the reports to me.

I found several reasons for your system troubles.
- Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) is not installed
- Intel 945GM Chipset drivers dated Sept 2007
- Realtek HD Audio - May 2007
- Atheros AR5007EG wireless driver (arthr.sys) - Sept 2007
- Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet driver (b57nd60x.sys) - Feb 2007 & current state = disabled
- Norton Internet Security - up to date & choking the life out of your system
- System has 1gb RAM (memory) - Should have at least 2gb w/ Vista

First - have you tried your ethernet connection for the Internet? Go into the Device Manager and see if you can enable it -
START | type devmgmt.msc - click on View, show hidden devices. Look for any red/yellow flags - look specifically in the Network area.

The next item to take care of is Norton. The reports show 101 Symantec/ Norton loaded drivers in your system. I don't believe I have ever seen that many. The Norton installation has to be removed. Download the Norton Removal Tool (NRT) HERE to your desktop - if no Internet on the Acer, download it on the other system and copy it to the Acer desktop. RIGHT-click on the NRT icon, select Run as Administrator. When complete, re-boot. Run it again - then re-boot.

Now reset the Windows Firewall to its default settings -
START | type FirewallSettings.exe into the start search box | click on FirewallSettings.exe above | select the Advanced Tab | click on "Restore Defaults" | Click Apply (if hi-lighted) | Click OK

Run the Vista Cleaning Manager Utility -
START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe above under programs | select Run as Administrator | the black cmd prompt/"DOS" scree will appear - type the following:

cleanmgr tuneup

I usually check the recycle bin box in addition to the 2 already checked.

When connected to Internet, go to Windows Updates in Control Panel. Allow all updates to come in. When finished, for temporary protection (you can decide later) install AVG 8 anti-virus free edition, available HERE.

Go to the Acer site HERE and update all device drivers only if SP1 is installed.

I found that you have a 50 GB empty partition - drive d: Did you know about this? Do you know if you have a hidden recovery partition or do you have a Vista DVD in the event that a re-install of Vista becomes necessary?
Code:
Drive	C:
Size	51.14 GB (54'914'969'600 bytes)
Free Space	21.50 GB (23'085'903'872 bytes)
Volume Name	ACER

Drive	D:
Size	50.89 GB (54'638'145'536 bytes)
Free Space	50.80 GB (54'542'417'920 bytes)
Volume Name	DATA

I hope this gets you going. The RAM can wait for now. Let's get the system up and stable first.

Any ? - please post!

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 11-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
Registered Member

I'm about to try what you suggested. By the way, will uninstalling Norton improve over-all computer speed? My Mom was complaining about the speed of the computer I'm using now, which also has Norton. This computer is a few years old, is it normal that cômputers just slow down? Should I defrag the hard disk?
Old 11-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses_nicholas View Post
MY internet is unbearably slow. I'm running an Acer Aspire 5310. it's connected via wi-fi to a router and then to the internet. The internet isn't sluggish, because I've watched slugs and they get more done in five minutes than this thing can in 30. It took me that long to get to this page. our household runs 4 computers: this one with vista, an HP PC with XP, a laptop from toshiba with XP and an Asus desktop with Vista. The two vista machines are the most chaotic on the internet, but this is the worst. Both the systems with XP have no problems. On this laptop, a bubble appears almost every 30 seconds which reads "Acer eNet Management Internet Disconnected" and then a little later "Internet Connected". Even when this cycle isn't happening, any webpage can take whole minutes to load. I don't know how to isolate the problem, so any suggestions would really help. Thanks!
Hello moses_nicholas,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

I did a quick look at your logs and it looks like you have Norton AntiVirus 2008 installed. Have you tried manually running LiveUpdate and then completing a "Full System Scan" to check for infections? If not, I would highly encourage you to do so. You can run LiveUpdate and when it is complete, reboot into Windows Safe Mode, launch Norton and tehn select "Full System Scan."

Also, as long as you have a valid license to Norton AntiVirus, you are entitled to a free update to the 2009 version, which uses very few resources and has numerous new and improved features to keep your computer safe and free of infections.

To update to the 2009 version, using Internet Explorer, click on the link below to visit the Norton Update Center.

Norton Update Center

If the problems persist , there is the possibility that you may need to properly uninstall and then reinstall Norton AntiVirus, but I would rather you try the in-place upgrade and scan first.

Please let me know if you have any more questions regarding Norton.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks both of you. I have done most of your, jcgriff2, suggestions, except for the device drivers. this means Norton is uninstalled, so I can't do anyting with that at the moment... Any way, using a direct ethernet connection works excellenetly, but he wireless is still absurd. the internet really does connect and reconnect every 30 secônds when in wireless. Uninstalling Norton has not helped. I'll get onto the device drivers soon, but at the moment the laptop is in use.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

I do agree with Michael York that it is good to scan for viruses, but I found one of the most recent entries in your system log to be that of Live Update for Norton starting. Some of the latest Norton drivers were dated 17 Nov 2008. The removal of Norton should have resulted in reduced slowness as 4 Symantec system services were running as of the time you ran the reports for me.

Something stood in the way of Vista SP1 installing and I have many times found it to be anti-virus software. Did any Windows Updates come in and was one of them Vista SP1? I don't have any issues with Norton anti-virus itself, just the Internet Security suites - Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, etc...

I am glad to hear the Ethernet is working well. I believe your wifi driver arth.sys dated Sept 2007 to be the leading cause of your wifi instability. I am really surprised that I didn't hear of any BSODs here as arth.sys has shown up in many recently.

Yes, it is a good idea to defrag the hard drive - use Auslogics to do so. Before that, be sure to run the Vista Cleaning manager. You can download Auslogics defrag HERE and save to desktop. Go to desktop, right-click on the defrag icon and select Run as Administrator.

To get some additional breathing room temporarily, go into MSCONFIG -(START | type msconfig), click on start-up tab and un-check the following if possible:
Code:
PlayMovie	"c:\program files\acer arcade deluxe\play movie\pmvservice.exe"	Public	HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
QuickTime Task	"c:\program files\quicktime\qttask.exe" -atboottime	Public	HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Sidebar	%programfiles%\windows sidebar\sidebar.exe /detectmem	NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE	HKU\S-1-5-19\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
WarReg_PopUp	c:\acer\wr_popup\warreg_popup.exe	Public	HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Acer Tour Reminder	c:\acer\acertour\reminder.exe	Public	HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Any ? - please let me know.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 11-22-2008, 07:23 AM   #9
Registered Member

I'm looking at the driver downloads and there is long list, but nothing resembling arth.sys. What should I do?
Old 11-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi. . .Your looking for Atheros AR5007EG wireless driver - 802.11 for x86. I went to the site, but it picks up that I am x64 and re-directs me there. Ubder x64 there is only 1 Atheros 802.11 wifi listed. Should be same under x86.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:40 AM   #11
Registered Member

Ok, great. I found the Atheros driver in device manager and updated it there. Everything seems to be working fine now. If there are any other problems I'll post, but thanks a lot!
Old 11-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #12
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

You are welcome.

I am glad to hear things are now working well for you - great job on running all of the steps. Thank you for posting to let me know outcome.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Closed Thread