Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Good PC voice recognition software today?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Good PC voice recognition software today? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I couldn't find a software forum so I'm posting this here. I remember using voice recognition back in 1998 where

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I couldn't find a software forum so I'm posting this here.

I remember using voice recognition back in 1998 where you could talk to your computer and it would do what you said, or if you said "Begin dictation" it would then type everything you said until you say "Stop dictation" where it would then start doing what you say again, and you could say "Go to sleep" and "Wake up" to turn voice commands on and off entirely.

If it worked so well in 1998, it can only be near perfect now, and for some reason I'm making more and more typos using a keyboard so I think it's time to switch back to voice recognition.

What are good options available in 2011 that allow both voice commands and voice dictation?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

For example I could walk up to my computer and make a word document just by saying this:

Wake up, start microsoft word, begin dictation [computer replies "Begin dictating"] This is a test letter comma it is written by voice recognition full-stop stop dictation [computer replies "Dictation stopped"] Save begin dictation [computer replies "Begin dictating"] Test letter stop dictation [computer replies "Dictation stopped"] enter, close microsoft word, go to sleep.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
Team Manager
- Hardware Team
- Home Support

My System

Hi aab1

Win-7 includes 'Voice Recognition software (All Programs - Accessories - Ease of Access - Windows Speech Recognition), though how good or bad it is I haven't a clue.

I remember having a play with a 'Dragon' program many years ago, I think it was a shareware-release on a PC magazine's cover CD, but it was so much hassle to 'program' and still made more mistakes than my typing, I gave up

Otherwise, there's a list of what's now available from here

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I installed the latest version of the Dragon yesterday, it works incredibly well. In fact, I've typed this entire post by only talking. It definitely saves a lot of time compared to typing, it rarely ever makes any mistakes, and when it does they can be corrected in seconds also by voice.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

HeHe not if you have a strong accent ie Scots like me then they all can fail quite badly

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Actually, in the user setup in this version, it asked me what my accent was. You also need to train it by reading a short text, so it adapts to your voice.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Now that sounds good does it do Glaswegian

Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
Team Manager
- Hardware Team
- Home Support

My System

I suspect it would get rather confused here, all the time I'm at home, I listen to a rather excellent DAB radio-station streamed online and played through my stereo system - I'd likely end up with a mix of me, Classic Rock and radio DJ

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

That could make for some interesting text

Old 09-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via ICQ to LitZ Send a message via AIM to LitZ Send a message via MSN to LitZ Send a message via Yahoo to LitZ Send a message via Skype™ to LitZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
I installed the latest version of the Dragon yesterday, it works incredibly well. In fact, I've typed this entire post by only talking. It definitely saves a lot of time compared to typing, it rarely ever makes any mistakes, and when it does they can be corrected in seconds also by voice.
What is in red is called a comma splice. No, I am not a grammar Nazi; mine is bad too. I am not trying to troll either. I am simply informing and educating; where dragon does help, it is not really error free.

Always re-read whatever you write if it is for a school paper.

LitZ
Old 09-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Dragon Naturally Speaking IS good. But I tried setting it up for someone that had suffered a stroke, and had a bad slur to their voice. It was a bother to train (you had to read a LOT of text, and they had trouble seeing), and the issue was their slurring would CHANGE. So it would be accurate one day, and not understand them the next.

It's coming along well. But we're still WAY far way from something like the 'Star Trek' computers.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Sorry, but what did the "Star Trek" computers do?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
Gone | Not Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
Sorry, but what did the "Star Trek" computers do?
No key board, you talked to them and told them what to do.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Naturally Speaking lets you do exactly that, I can do most things without ever touching the keyboard or mouse, and when I do need to touch it is simply because I don't yet know the correct voice command for what I want to do as I just got it days ago.

<From now on I am switching to manual typing so that I can write rather than execute the commands>

This is another thing I haven't yet figured out, the old program from 1997 used to switch from writing to voice commands by saying "begin dictation" and "stop dictation". This new program is smart and so it figures out what you want it to write and what you want it to do, for example I can say:

Email John Doe, This is a test message, I am writing it by talking to my computer using Dragon Naturally Speaking period, underline by talking, bold Dragon Naturally Speaking, click send.

By saying the above, without ever touching the computer, it opens a new email message to John Doe, writes:

This is a test message, I am writing it by talking to my computer using Dragon Naturally Speaking.

And sends the above message.

You can press any keyboard key by saying "press page up" or click any on screen button by saying "click post quick reply" or "click go advanced", if there are 2 buttons or links with that name it numbers them onscreen and you can then say "2" if you want it to click the 2nd one.

So if I did learn every voice command, I could in theory get rid of my mouse and keyboard. Of course while listening to music it doesn't work well so I use the keyboard if I want to write while music is playing, but if it's a long message I'll pause the music and "voice type" it as it's so much faster and more efficient.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

Yes...We know. What I was saying is that the computers on the science fictions shows worked FLAWLESSLY with voice commands, no matter the amount of background noise, and to the point where it could anticipate phrases and commands that didn't have to be spoken. Much like talking to another person.

But with Naturally Speaking and other products, like Ford's Sync, they're getting closer.
Closed Thread