Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Computer Stutters Every 5-10 seconds for 0.5-2.0 seconds

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Computer Stutters Every 5-10 seconds for 0.5-2.0 seconds within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Alright I may not be the most computer savy person around but I've always managed to find and repair computer

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Alright I may not be the most computer savy person around but I've always managed to find and repair computer problems (with the exception of crashed HDDs) but this problem is odd and is driving me NUTS!

Symptoms:
Gaming HD

When I'm just on the desktop (no high demand programs/games) the computer cursor freeze (stutter) for 0.5 to 2.0 seconds every 5 to 10 seconds. Additionally the USB mouse occasionally disconnects/reconnects (with windows notification sound). I have moved USB mouse to different ports with no change. This makes it almost impossible to do anything. However youtube, netflix and DVDs (VLC) play without interruption during the stuttering.

The same occurs when playing any game only the screen freezes as well.

The same stuttering occurs on a completely separate HD which is in no way connected to the pure Gaming HD. (points to more of a hardware problem I think)

This started late last week and the only major change I did was installing homeworld remastered however I really don't think that is the cause as the separate HD also stutters.

Attempted Troubleshooting:
-The CPU and Vid Card were both pretty dusty so I took them out, cleaned and re-applyed thermal paste on the CPU --> no change to stuttering

I have an inferred temp gun and cleaning the dust did improve the temps (slightly) but no effect on the stuttering.

-Memory Diagnostic --> no problems

-Event Viewer --> WHEA event 20 error (not sure what this means but it only happened once and not everytime the computer stutters)

-Avast Premium full system scan --> no problems

-Pulled ram and exchanged slots ---> no change

-Updated vid drivers to most recent --->no change

-Switched SATA HD ports ---> no change

System Specs:

Windows 7 Home 64 bit
Vid Card: EVFA GTX 560
RAM: 8GB
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 Ghz
800 watt PSU

The computer has been running fine for a couple of years prior.
The HD is relatively new (2-3 months old)

Let me know if you need other specs/info. This seriously makes me want to get a new PC but I don't have the cash right now. I'd consider replacing a component but I can't afford to replace the wrong one. (if that's even the problem)

Right now I plan on completely dissaseembling the comp and cleaning everything followed by buying a new HD (I've been meaning to get one for BU anyway).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Registered Member

Complete new HD

Installed Windows 7 Premium

Still Stutters

Must me the hardware no? But which component?
Old 07-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Start with a Clean Boot, if that works, add one startup item at a time until the stuttering starts, then you will know the troublesome program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #4
Troubled

Might be a program but I suspect hardware. Maybe the motherboard or the power supply. Only way to know would be to follow the above advice and if that doesn't work try a different motherboard and/or power supply. Kind of sounds like the board though. CMOS clear "might' help.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:41 AM   #5
Registered Member

SOLVED

It was the mouse......

I brought a USB mouse from work and plugged it in...no more stuttering.

The mouse in question is the Logitech G500 and I've used it for at least a couple years with no problems. Not sure what the issue is but hopefully it's just the drivers.

Very weird though.
Closed Thread