Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Computer restarts when exiting sleep, white lines on screen.

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Computer restarts when exiting sleep, white lines on screen. within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Our computer restarts when exiting sleep mode. Upon restart there are static white lines flashing on the screen and I

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Our computer restarts when exiting sleep mode. Upon restart there are static white lines flashing on the screen and I get the Windows Error Recovery screen where it says windows failed to start. I can launch startup repair or start windows normally. A week or so ago we had this same error screen pop up but I chose Start Windows Normally and it seemed to boot fine. Now when choosing to start windows normally, I either get a blank black screen with these lines flashing or it comes back to the same Windows Error Recovery screen with the flashing lines still there. For a long time now the computer would start to buzz once in awhile, only for a bit. Right now it has that louder than normal buzz and it is steady.

It is a Dell Inspiron AMD system running Windows Vista Home Basic. I do have the Operating System "reinstallation" DVD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

An update, I just tried to start it up normally once more and it got to desktop this time but now there are 16 vertical lines and other horizontal lines kind of flashing on the screen. The loud buzzing is there too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi it may be a issue with your graphics if you hook it up to a external monitor does it do the same

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

It's a desktop computer so it is connect to an external monitor, unless I'm misunderstanding you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

he means you need to hook it up to another monitor to see if it is the graphics card and "NOT" the monitor, but sounds like your fan might be failing if it is buzzing but thats just a guess.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi does your video card have a fan,have you tested the video card
FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net is the cpu fan and air vents clean and clear of debris,make sure there are no wires near the fan,are the card and the heatsink for the cpu correctly and firmly seated

Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
Registered Member

I'm not able to get it to boot up to desktop so I don't think I can run the test. I just cleaned it and the rest seems OK.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi have you tried to start it in safe mode try tapping F8 on boot and choose safe mode

Old 02-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

I tried another monitor and it does the same thing. I got it to boot in safe mode. The lines still appear.. don't know if that's useful info or not. I downloaded FurMark. I didn't think I could run that in safe mode and when I try an error comes up saying; Could not initiate ZoomGPU. FurMark setup failed. Bye!

Also, when trying to start it up normally, as of late there is no buzzing but just a blank screen after the loading screen.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi I'am leaning towards the graphics card being the issue

Old 02-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Registered Member

OK thanks. It seemed like a graphics card problem to me too but I didn't think I would be getting the Windows Error Recovery screen from that you know?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi if it is dying then you can get windows attempting to recover as it will be looking for the hardware and driver

Old 02-17-2011, 02:17 AM   #12
Registered Member

Alright. I'll be taking it up with my graphics card company. Thanks again.
Closed Thread