Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Bizarre display issue

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Bizarre display issue within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Nice one for the pure genius....... Just changed from using a VGA cable to my monitor to HDMI. Nothing else

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Nice one for the pure genius.......

Just changed from using a VGA cable to my monitor to HDMI. Nothing else is different. I am using an ASUS graphics card and all was well before. The only reason to changing to HDMI was length of cable.

Despite setting screen resolution to max, 1920 X 1080, as it was before, Windows displays on the screen with a black border round the outside, that is, not full screen.

At boot up the motherboard screen displays full screen, as does the 'starting Windows' page, but when it come to displaying anything thereafter it shows it smaller. Any ideas, guys?

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 04:00 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

What is the make of the Graphics Card, and does the card have a control center for adjusting graphics settings, like nVidia, and ATI?

If there is, open the graphics control program, and look for "Scaling Options" then adjust your display.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hello. It is an Asus card and it has an AMD control centre. I cannot find any scaling options. It only offers resolution. it is running at max, but only does full screen with the mobo screen and starting windows screen as I said. If there is this differential then surely it is Windows and not the card?

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Quote:
but only does full screen with the mobo screen and starting windows screen
When starting, the computer uses VGA, Windows hasn't loaded the drivers for your graphics card, yet.

Here is a link, for the Catalyst Control Center setup. It shows where to look for the scaling options.
GPU-68: How to Configure GPU Scaling Option in AMD Catalystâ„¢ Control Center

Also check that you have the most current drivers for your Graphics Card
Old 09-15-2014, 02:39 AM   #5
Registered Member

Alpenadriver you are a gem. Thank you so much. Problem sorted.

Justin
Closed Thread