Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Activating Windows

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Activating Windows within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I had to get a new mobo / cpu due to my board finally failing on me. I used

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

So I had to get a new mobo / cpu due to my board finally failing on me. I used a windows 7 upgrade (30 bucks since I'm a student promo thing), but now after doing a clean install of 7 on a new HDD because I didn't want to format my old drive, I can't activate windows because I did a clean install versus upgrading it.

Is there a solution to getting it to activate?

Thanks for the help in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

https://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-t...windows-7.aspx
Old 04-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

you cannot legally use an upgrade without the os that justifies the use of the upgrade installed.
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usasma View Post
Thanks for the reply, but I've tried doing that already it gives me an error message saying:

The Software Licensing Service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations.

I'm on a laptop at the moment, so I can't get a screenshot of it now. I'll try and get one up asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
you cannot legally use an upgrade without the os that justifies the use of the upgrade installed.
So then should I reinstall windows on my older drive with the working version of Windows 7? I also have Windows XP on another hard drive that used to be hooked up to my old machine (however, only having 1 PATA on the motherboard makes it hard getting it connected.) I guess I could install windows XP onto my new disk and then upgrade?
Old 04-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeOut View Post
Thanks for the reply, but I've tried doing that already it gives me an error message saying:

The Software Licensing Service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations.

I'm on a laptop at the moment, so I can't get a screenshot of it now. I'll try and get one up asap.
and that is what you are going to have to do!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
and that is what you are going to have to do!
Okay, but that doesn't solve my problem, I've already used the key before after upgrading from XP to 7 and now I have to install XP to get to 7?
Old 04-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:

So then should I reinstall windows on my older drive with the working version of Windows 7? I also have Windows XP on another hard drive that used to be hooked up to my old machine (however, only having 1 PATA on the motherboard makes it hard getting it connected.) I guess I could install windows XP onto my new disk and then upgrade?
you cannot use an os from another computer. It must be one assigned to that specific computer. Since the mb was replace because of issues you can use the old os that came with that computer as justification but it must be installed and activated for the new win7 upgrade to work.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
you cannot use an os from another computer. It must be one assigned to that specific computer. Since the mb was replace because of issues you can use the old os that came with that computer as justification but it must be installed and activated for the new win7 upgrade to work.
The XP disk was used on the same mobo / cpu that went kaput. I had a dual boot setup on my old rig. Basically after upgrading, I just went ahead and reinstalled XP on the same rig the upgrade was used on. Now that that rig is gone, I have an issue with connecting that drive with XP (not enough PATA slots for me).

Basically this is what I'm picking up. I have to install XP on the new rig, then upgrade to 7 for it to legally work.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
The XP disk was used on the same mobo / cpu that went kaput. I had a dual boot setup on my old rig. Basically after upgrading, I just went ahead and reinstalled XP on the same rig the upgrade was used on. Now that that rig is gone, I have an issue with connecting that drive with XP (not enough PATA slots for me).

Basically this is what I'm picking up. I have to install XP on the new rig, then upgrade to 7 for it to legally work.
according to microsoft rules - yes. that is why you were getting the message "The Software Licensing Service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations."
Old 04-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
according to microsoft rules - yes. that is why you were getting the message "The Software Licensing Service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations."
Okay, well if that's the only way, I guess I'll get started on install XP. Hopefully I won't have to reinstall 7. If I do, oh well. Thanks for the help.
Closed Thread