Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Security permissions problem?

This is a discussion on Security permissions problem? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay, I am having some odd problems with my laptop. Today, I realized that I think my two problems might

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Okay, I am having some odd problems with my laptop. Today, I realized that I think my two problems might be directly connected. I am using an Acer Aspire 7551 and running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Recently, I noticed that here and there my laptop would tell me that I had to have administrator permissions to run a program or change a setting. That in itself is odd because not only am I the admin on this laptop, but there isn't even another user account, period. This has increased in frequency to the point that I have to right click and run everything as admin.

Today, I unplugged my router and modem to clean up a little bit and when I plugged it back in I couldn't connect to my wireless network. When I tried to troubleshoot the problem, Windows told me that the Diagnostics Policy Service won't start so Windows couldn't fix the issue. I checked out my Windows services and realized that Diagnostic Policy Services, Diagnostic Service Host and Diagnostic System Host were all set to be started manually. I switched them all to automatic and restarted my system. The problem still persists. I then tried restore my computer back a few days to see if that fixed the issue, it did not. I plugged in directly to my cable modem and everything works fine. I googled the issue and saw some people mentioning that both of my problems could be caused by an issue with my Security Permissions. I have no idea if this could be the issue, and if so, how I could fix it.

I have to be able to access various wireless networks for work and working for myself, I don't have a tech department to fix this. Someone help me please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Starting with Vista, Microsoft introduced User Access Control, a security feature that requires you to Run As Admin any software installation,or change of computer setting even if you are an admin and the only user on the computer . You can Re-adjust the UAC to a less intrusive setting if you like (not recommended). Go to Search and type UAC. This would not affect your Wireless settings though.
The Diagnostic Policy Service should be set to Automatic startup type, and the service started, but Diagnostic Service Host and Diagnostic System host should be set to Manual, with the former service started.
While in Services make sure WLAN AutoConfig is set to Manual but started.
Make sure your Wireless switch is on.
If you continue to have problems, you may be infected, please click on the link in my signature for Virus/Malware Help
Old 09-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, what Anti Virus do you use? Have you at any time had another AV installed on your computer.