Tech Support Forum banner

Running Windows XP or 7 to use old programs

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Geekomatic 
#1 ·
I have a program called Laplink Disk Image on which I have created backups of my hard drive, each time I had to do a clean install because of a virus situation/or something else. But, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I can no longer mount those disk images in order to search them as hard drives, even if I buy the newest version.

I was thinking maybe what I could do is run Windows XP and 7 (choosing from a menu) from a USB in order to access them with the old version of laplink I have. If this would work, I mean. Is there any way to access the main hard drive when you are running XP or 7 from a USB drive. Or, in order for it to work I would have to install XP or 7 on my computer, not just run it from a hard drive?

#2 ·
It may be a new security measure to protect the backups to not allow opening or mounting of images inside Windows.
I cannot mount/open Macrium images without going through Macrium first. This is a security measure implemented by Macrium.
Can you open Laplink and navigate to the image and open it from there?

#4 ·
Have you tried installing the old LapLink software under Windows 10?

You may need to use compatibility mode, but I'd try a straight install of the last version you used that worked with these backups first. Then, if that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall with compatibility mode.

I have a number of truly ancient programs that have no issue whatsoever running under Windows 10.

#6 ·
Have you tried installing the old LapLink software under Windows 10?
Yes, it will not let me mount the image (and thus view their files) I get an error message

You may need to use compatibility mode, but I'd try a straight install of the last version you used that worked with these backups first. Then, if that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall with compatibility mode.
When you say install with compatibility mode you mean the laplink software right? Not that I have reinstall the entire WIndows 10 OS (though I do plan to do so)

I have a number of truly ancient programs that have no issue whatsoever running under Windows 10.
Curious to know how ancient, I know there's DOSBOX for old programs that ran on DOS, That works on windows 10.

#7 ·
Here's a chat I had with laplink today.

Cecille C (8/5/2020, 4:25:41 PM): Hi Thank you for contacting Laplink Support. How can we help you today?
Me (8/5/2020, 4:26:39 PM): Hi, Yes, I'm thinking about buying the newest version of laplink diskimage, does it have the ability of older version to mount omg files you have created of hard drives and view the files of them?
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 4:27:13 PM): I will check this for you. By the way, may I please know the operating system of your PC?
Me (8/5/2020, 4:27:26 PM): Windows 10
Me (8/5/2020, 4:27:51 PM): I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can not mount omg files I have created, that I used to be able to do with Windows 7
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 4:29:18 PM): I see. Let me check this quickly, one moment, please
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 4:31:25 PM): Thank you for waiting. And may I please know the Disk Image version that you have used before?
Me (8/5/2020, 4:33:26 PM): one second please...........
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 4:34:34 PM): Sure!
Me (8/5/2020, 4:35:07 PM): It is Laplink version 5.0 127
Me (8/5/2020, 4:35:16 PM): build 127, that is
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 4:36:30 PM): Since you have an older version of Disk Image, you should install the version that made it to Windows 7 and mount the image to get your data.
Me (8/5/2020, 4:37:20 PM): I believe I am using the version that worked on windows 10, just not 100% sure if it's 64 bit or not
Me (8/5/2020, 4:37:29 PM): that worked on Windows 7 rather
Me (8/5/2020, 4:38:00 PM): I can mount the images using that laplink version running windows 7 in a virtual machine with hyper v- it works that way
Me (8/5/2020, 4:38:10 PM): but I need a way for it to work on Windows 10
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 4:39:38 PM): So basically, you have created an omg file from Win 7 using Disk Image 5 and you need to mount it to Windows 10, correct?
Me (8/5/2020, 4:39:49 PM): no, not exactly
Me (8/5/2020, 4:40:01 PM): oh, sorry I misread
Me (8/5/2020, 4:40:57 PM): Yes, I have created several omg files when I used windows 7, yes mounting them doesn't work in Windows 10, I do get message saying the program may not work correctly, but perhaps I should try using/installing it with compatibility mode
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 4:44:23 PM): The omg file can be mounted with the version that created them. However, Diskimage Pro 7 will not install in Win 10.
Me (8/5/2020, 4:45:21 PM): Is diskimage pro the lastest version? If so, why won't it?
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 4:46:48 PM): DiskImage version 10 is the latest version and that is the only compatible version for Windows 10.
Me (8/5/2020, 4:47:28 PM): Ok, what would Diskimage pro 7 be used for/would I need it for
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 4:49:17 PM): Let me verify something here quickly, one moment, please.
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 4:51:58 PM): May I please know your email address?
Me (8/5/2020, 4:52:32 PM): yes, it is removed
Me (8/5/2020, 4:52:40 PM): well I have several
Me (8/5/2020, 4:52:55 PM): if you are looking perhaps for the one I used to buy the program
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 4:53:28 PM): Yes, the one registered with Laplink.
Me (8/5/2020, 4:54:28 PM): removed
Me (8/5/2020, 4:54:31 PM): should be it
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 4:56:13 PM): Thank you. I was able to check a case here under your account and here is the response of our senior tech support regarding your issue:

Thank you for your reply and our apologies for the delay. We looked into your scenario further but unfortunately do not have a conclusive solution as far as our version of DiskImage (DI) is concerned. To answer your follow-up questions the best we can:

1-
". . . there may still be a way, by running it on a computer with Windows 7 or Windows XP and mounting the drive to view it as a hard drive. Would you know any way I could do this without having to install another OS on my computer, I'm told you can run one of those OS's from a flash drive, etc."

A1-
Mounting and viewing the contents of the image on an OS on which it was made or for which the version of DI is compatible with should of course be possible; however, we do not know of a guaranteed way to do so other than actually having that OS installed on the computer.

2-
". . . why did you remove the ability to make disc images and mount them in future versions of laplink disk image, I thought that's the whole purpose of having the image, so you can view the files on it. I had to do it a few times when I did a clean install of windows."

A2-
Much like that for design reasons a new version of software is not guaranteed to be backward-compatible with all older OS's (for instance, starting with version 8 and continuing with version 10, DI started adding the latest OS to its compatibility, namely Windows 10 but stopped being compatible with XP -- Vista and up only), tasks and features of a new version are not guaranteed to be backward-compatible either and oftentimes cannot be supported, hence the need to run these tasks/features with versions and OSs for which they were developed at the time.

The only suggestion that we have in conclusion would be to look for another disk-imaging product on the market. We do recommend in that regard that you check with a Berlin-based contributing developer of ours called O&O Software -- the company offers their own version of DiskImage called O&O DiskImage and with their latest release of version 15 is three full versions ahead of us. They might be able to accommodate the particular "retro-mount with externally run OS" request that you have (with an emphasis on "might"). You can view O&O's latest DI product and contact them on the following web pages:

O&O DiskImage 15:

O&O Contact:

We hope this was helpful. This being said we are closing the case. If you have further questions about Laplink software moving forward, feel free to open a new inquiry in this account.

Sincerely,
Laplink Technical Support
Me (8/5/2020, 4:58:46 PM): what I meant with the second question was
Me (8/5/2020, 5:00:42 PM): can the latest version of laplink diskimage 10 create and mount omg files, and view thier contents? That is what I was asking, why you removed the ability to mount images and view thier files. In this case meaning with the OS and version of laplink designed for THAT software. As I understand it, if I create an omg with the latest version of windows 10 I wouldn't have ability to mount and view the files with it
Me (8/5/2020, 5:02:05 PM): an omg with windows 10 and laplink 10 and mount it I mean, I couldn't view the files, THAT is what I was asking, not why it doesn't work for me trying to mount an old image on a new version of windows
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 5:06:37 PM): Disk Image 10 is only guaranteed to read images it created, no guarantee that previous images can be read.
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 5:06:49 PM): Much like that for design reasons a new version of software is not guaranteed to be backward-compatible with all older OS's (for instance, starting with version 8 and continuing with version 10, DI started adding the latest OS to its compatibility, namely Windows 10 but stopped being compatible with XP -- Vista and up only), tasks and features of a new version are not guaranteed to be backward-compatible either and oftentimes cannot be supported, hence the need to run these tasks/features with versions and OSs for which they were developed at the time.
Me (8/5/2020, 5:06:56 PM): Yes, but you misunderstand that is not what I'm asking
Me (8/5/2020, 5:07:10 PM): to put it simply
Me (8/5/2020, 5:08:19 PM): If I with windows 10 and the latest version of Laplink disc image created an omg would I be able to mount it and view the files. USING laplink disc image 10 and windows 10
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 5:10:55 PM): Yes, you are correct.
Me (8/5/2020, 5:11:05 PM): Ok, thank you
Me (8/5/2020, 5:11:33 PM): so it still has the ability to create, mount and view the drives if you are using the compatible software, that's what I meant
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 5:14:08 PM): Yes, sorry for the confusion.
Me (8/5/2020, 5:14:19 PM): You somewhat answered my next question, already. I need to get the omg files into a format where I can view the files thereof, Is the omg format a proprietary format of laplink? Perhaps some other program can mount them, or some other software convert them into a format where you can view the files
Me (8/5/2020, 5:17:29 PM): but you don't know a way to do that other than maybe O&O correct? I've tried making an image of an image, isn't work too well
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 5:19:12 PM): One moment, please.
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 5:21:38 PM): If you will be using the Disk Image version 10, you can check this user guide:

It has options on the left side to create a boot medium or an image.
Me (8/5/2020, 5:22:06 PM): Yes, but as you mentioned before it won't be able to mount the images I create with windows 7, correct?
Me (8/5/2020, 5:22:15 PM): Ok, I think you've answered everything I need
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 5:23:28 PM): Yes, correct.
Cecille C (8/5/2020, 5:23:33 PM): Is there anything else that I may assist you with at the moment?
Me (8/5/2020, 5:27:41 PM): no thank you.
So, they make it clear (unless they are wrong) I can't mount the old omgs with any version of laplink in Windows 10 and view the files. What I need to do now, is find out a way (preferrably without spending money) to convert them into a format I can view the files on windows 7

#8 ·
Am I the only one thinking why the fries would a Vendor of a Backup software have such a crappy setup. A Backup/Image application is specifically used for long term redundancy..

One of the reasons I stick with FOSS stuff, at least the community jumps in and helps.

#9 ·
Another reason I copy/paste. Can't be bothered with these programs. If you need a bit of automation, use SyncToy for Windows. It still works and you can just run the program from a desktop icon when you feel like it. I don't know how many times I've had to tell people that an external shouldn't be left, plugged into a computer, in the event of virus or surge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.