Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Renesas USB Host Controller Error: Code 10

This is a discussion on Renesas USB Host Controller Error: Code 10 within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi! Thanks in advance. I've been having this problem for around 2 days now, and it's infuriating: I can't use

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi! Thanks in advance.

I've been having this problem for around 2 days now, and it's infuriating: I can't use any of my back USB ports because of it! I'm only going off of the front two ports for a keyboard and mouse as we speak

I'll start by saying how this problem started: basically, I can't determine the cause. I usually leave my computer on for extended periods of time, but turned it off due to excessive heat in the room. When I turned it back on, the problem started. Nothing happened any different before restarting than any other time, no drivers installed, nothing updated, etc.

Now this happens every single time I reboot, even when I somehow end up fixing the problem through a weird combination of rebooting, reinstalling the drivers, and uninstalling the drivers. I'm still not sure what exactly fixes it, as right now I'm still trying to just constantly uninstall, reinstall, and restart in hopes it will work, as that seemed to fix it a handful of times.

Anyway, on to the problem. I get the exclamation point in Device Manager when drivers are installed/when I reboot from everything being okay. here is the properties, and the error code: this device cannot start (code 10). No amount of disabling/enabling the driver fixes it. My hardware ID is PCI\VEN_1912&DEV_0014&SUBSYS_77511462&REV_03

When I try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers, it gets the same problem. I've tried several different drivers from different download locations and different file sizes. I've also tried pointing the automatic updater to the folders of the drivers to manually install them without the software, which just leads to the same exact problem.

When the drivers are uninstalled through the device manager, the device merely disappears. However, when I completely uninstall the drivers installed by software via the Control Panel, it turns into a default USB controller with error code 28 (drivers not installed), predictably. Reinstalling drivers goes back to step 1 at code 10. Trying to have Windows Update get the drivers automatically doesn't find any drivers.

Some info about my system:
Motherboard: z77 mpower (usb port hardware is on this mobo)
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. V17.10 7/9/2013
OS: Windows 7 64 bit 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Thanks in advance again, this problem has been driving me crazy. I'm all about solving problems myself as I'm a self-renowned 'techie', but I'm just at a total loss for this case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Since you feel it's a driver issue try System Restore since it will bring you back to the condition 2 days ago (choose proper date).

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, welcome to the forums, and thank you for a detailed and descriptive first post. Now for the hard bit, these problems can be a pain to track down, the first thing I want you to do is go to the properties for the device and expand the drop down under "details" (same spot you got the hardware details from) look for any mention of class upper or lower filters, if there we need to delete them. Open regedit. It is good practise to export this key to desktop call it filter.reg, just in case.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class, under this key you will see a long list of GUID's the one you want is:-
{36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000} highlight it and in the right pane right click on the filters select delete. Restart computer. If they are not present do not worry this is not the problem.

If no joy with the filters go to start , search and type:-cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

dir usbstor.inf /s > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter) please post the notepad outcome here.

EDIT:- Corday beat me to it, first point of call is system restore.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

Unfortunately it seems my system restore is clogged with all of the reinstalling of the drivers in attempts to fix it.. is there a whole list, or is there only a moving amount of system restores and so I'm beyond that limit?

I didn't find anything named 'filters', nor upper or lower ones in the list of properties. Also, while I was looking through the properties, I noticed this which may or may not be related to the problem. I figure it's worth noting, at least.

Still, I did end up finding that registry entry, but it doesn't seem to contain anything related to filters.

Here is the result from the command:

Code:
 Volume in drive C is MyDriveName
 Volume Serial Number is 5AF6-4396

Directory of C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_amd64_neutral_0725c2806a159a9d

11/20/2010  08:23 PM            31,352 usbstor.inf
               1 File(s)         31,352 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_amd64_neutral_26b33263a639795d

03/10/2011  05:18 PM            31,352 usbstor.inf
               1 File(s)         31,352 bytes

Total Files Listed:
               2 File(s)         62,704 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  65,311,830,016 bytes free
Thanks for the prompt replies, looking forward to having usable USB ports again.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, go to the directory's from your above cmd and copy all files there, paste these into the C:\Windows\inf directory. Restart computer see how you go now.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
Registered Member

Unfortunately I'm back again. What you suggested seemed to work for a little while. However, after turning my computer on today, I'm having the same problem again. Repeating your steps haven't fixed it a second time. I would system restore if it wasn't clogged with driver installs :(
Closed Thread