Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Reinstall Office after Win 7 upgrade

This is a discussion on Reinstall Office after Win 7 upgrade within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I purchased my T61 with office pre-installed. I don't have the CDs. After installing Win 7 I will have to

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #1

I purchased my T61 with office pre-installed. I don't have the CDs. After installing Win 7 I will have to re-install office. How do I do it without knowing the Product Keys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

If you do the in-place upgrade in Vista as opposed to a clean install it should and normally will leave the programs in-place.
You should have recieved the office disks and key when you bought the PC unless it was on a VLK program.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:01 AM   #3

I purchased the Lenovo with the software installed (trial version) and paid for the activation. I don't have the Product keys. The Windows 7 upgrade documentation says I will have to reinstall programs after the upgrade as i am going from Vista Business to Win 7 Home Premium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

download, and belarc advisor. It will list your product keys / licenses for your software.
https://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Old 11-15-2009, 05:13 AM   #5
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Yes you can not upgrade to a lessor version, from Vista Pro you have to go to either Win7 Pro or Ultimate, to go to Win7 Home it will need to be a custom(Clean) install.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Registered Member

I have the same question. If I upgrade to windows 7, how do I reinstall the microsoft products that came with my T61? I have the products keys, but no executable files. I have created recovery disks but cannot find the MS products on the disks. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Lenovo should have supplied the disks for the MS Office products if the Laptop was shipped with them pre-installed.

From Vista it is possible to do a in place upgrade leaving the programs installed but that will also leave any problems behind as well.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Registered Member

Fantastic! Believe it or not, I actually found them!!! I also ran the Belarc Advisor. What a sweet program that is, huh? I think I'm just about ready to do the upgrade. I'm backing up documents and executable files for programs I downloaded from the internet so I can reinstall those.

Last question (I think). Should I try to download the new drivers for the T61 before or after I run the upgrade? Also, are there some you recommend I download as opposed to others? I'm looking at drivers from the following site: https://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...WIN7-BETA.html.

Thanks again for the tips
Old 12-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #9
Registered Member

So far the Windows 7 install on my T61 has gone pretty good. Two exceptions. First, the laptop monitor does not work (yet) and I can't import my favorites using the instructions provided by MS. I downloaded Lenovo's Think Vantage System Update utility (https://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=TVSU-UPDATE) and I'm in the process of downloading 201 MB of drivers and other files needed to make the T61 compatible with Windows 7. I'll keep ya'll updated on what it takes to make this puppy work. It's gonna be a long night.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

What do you mean the monitor does not work? Does the screen display anything?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #11
Registered Member

Initially, the laptop monitor was not detected by W7 at all. The laptop monitor did not show up in the device manager and the display settings only showed one monitor - the external one. I used a newer external monitor to perform all the upgrade tasks. However, after downloading a bunch of drivers from Lenovo using ThinkVantage System Update (https://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=TVSU-UPDATE), the laptop monitor worked fine. In fact, W7 also resolved problems I was having with my wireless broadband device (Sierra Wireless 598 USB). Now it screams.

Anyway, it might be a good idea for anyone upgrading a T61 from Vista to W7 to have an external monitor available until they can download all the new drivers.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #12
Registered Member

Some final thoughts since I don't want this to become a blog. The upgrade to W7 is finished. I've got all my Microsoft and other apps back. The improvement in system performance with W7 is enormous. Web page refresh rates are significantly better, applications launch a lot faster, and the system boots faster.

While I haven't had to use it (at least not yet), the version of W7 I upgraded to (Professional) allows you to use something called "Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC" (https://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/). This functionality allows you to run older applications in "XP" mode. From what I read on the net, the performance is pretty seamless. Installation requires you do tweak your BIOS settings, but it's nothing major. Heck! I did it.

Anyway, thanks for your support through this Wrench. I am sooo not a techie, but knowing that you had my back really helped. I'll let you know if I discover anything else.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:23 AM   #13
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Good to hear you have this installed and running well. On the monitor it is because you had an external hooked up that the integrated laptop monitor was not detected a reboot without the external plugged in and windows would have detected the correct one.
Closed Thread