User Tag List

RAM problems?

This is a discussion on RAM problems? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i've had a few different issues lately and am wondering if it's all tied to an issue with my RAM.

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

i've had a few different issues lately and am wondering if it's all tied to an issue with my RAM.
i'm running vista sp2
core 2 quad cpu 2.33 ghz
8gb RAM
64bit OS

the issues i've had lately:
computer turns off after being idle for a while. very random, but i think that it happens only if i have things running like chrome, for example.
when using utorrent sometimes it will take a while to flush to disk. never had this happen in the past.
when using dvd shrink i get the error "out of memory. not enough storage is available to process this command" about 60% through the rip. if i pause the program i can get through the whole rip. looking at my performance, though, the program is eating up memory like crazy.

any ideas? any tools i can use to test my RAM?
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
out of memory. not enough storage is available to process this command
DVD Shrink uses a temp folder (C\Users\[username]\appdata\roaming\DVD Shrink) to store the ripped DVD until it is burned. It should delete these temp files, but it may be leaving them and you need to clear out the temp file.
Due to forum rules, we cannot assist you on UTorrent or any P2P software or Torrents.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

ok.
i don't think it has anything to do with the temp files. the hard disk has plenty of space. i've monitored my resources while running the dvd shrink and for some reason it seems to send the information to the RAM and the hard drive can't keep up with the buffer size on the RAM so it runs out of memory. if, however, i pause the operation and allow the hard drive to catch up, then the problem is solved.
in putting it this way it seems like either the RAM isn't outputting the data fast enough or the hard drive isn't writing fast enough....
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
the hard drive isn't writing fast enough
All CD/DVD and ripping software use a Temp directory for a buffer. If the Temp file is too full it may cause this problem. If your Virtual Memory is not System Managed.
If you feel there is a problem with the RAM, download the ISO image for Memtest in my signature, burn the Image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Turn off the computer and remove all but one stick of RAM, Boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests on each stick of RAM separately.
You can also post your question to the DVD Shrink Forum for better results if you don't believe me.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
All CD/DVD and ripping software use a Temp directory for a buffer. If the Temp file is too full it may cause this problem. If your Virtual Memory is not System Managed.
If you feel there is a problem with the RAM, download the ISO image for Memtest in my signature, burn the Image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Turn off the computer and remove all but one stick of RAM, Boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests on each stick of RAM separately.
You can also post your question to the DVD Shrink Forum for better results if you don't believe me.
thanks, i'll try that.
the temp folder you referenced doesn't exist on my hd.