Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Problems with my Compaq CQ60

This is a discussion on Problems with my Compaq CQ60 within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First of all sorry for my bad english and i did not know where else i would post this problem

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

First of all sorry for my bad english and i did not know where else i would post this problem of mine.

First Problem
When i let the computer go into either of the two resting modes. (Sleep and Hibernation?) it does not wanna wake up. I have to manually shut down using the power button. And remove battery, plug it in, sometimes i can only start up using the battery but not the powercord.
Seriously its such a wierd problem i can hardly describe it. Easy put it: I have to work on it for about 2-5 minutes before i can start up the computer. When i shut down the computer via powerbutton and starts it. The Fan comes alive, that power LED lamp on the computer is on but the screen wont go on and the LED showing that the harddrive is "thinking" is not flashing either.. [Hope you follow here]

Second problem

This problem began at the same time as the first, the screen started to blink from time to time no matter what i do on the computer. Turns gray for a sec or two and then starts working again. I tried to update my Nvidia Geforce 8200M G driver to the lates via Nvidia homepage. But problem is still there, any solution to this? I got it as christmas gift 2009.

I used the companys own recover CD's and reinstalled Vista and formated my harddrive.. Now am starting to think if its worth trying with XP instead, if i can find any drivers for this computer dedicated to WinXP that is.

Thanks for any help :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

If you've reinstalled Vista with the recovery DVD's and it still has the same problem - then it's most likely that it's a hardware problem.

Try these free tests:
Quote:
H/W Diagnostics:
Please start by running these bootable hardware diagnostics:
https://www.carrona.org/memdiag.html (read the details at the link)
https://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html (read the details at the link)

Also, please run one of these free, independent online malware scans to ensure that your current protection hasn't been compromised: https://www.carrona.org/malware.html (read the details at the link)

Then, if the above tests pass, I'd try these free stress tests:
Quote:
FurMark download site: https://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
- Click "Quit" to exit
Quote:
Prime95 download site: https://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
Prime95 Setup:
- extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice
- double click on the executable file
- select "Just stress testing"
- select the "Blend" test. If you've already run MemTest overnight you may want to run the "Small FFTs" test instead.
- "Number of torture test threads to run" should equal the number of CPU's times 2 (if you're using hyperthreading).
The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager...Performance tab - and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History
Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours - or until you get errors (whichever comes first).
This won't necessarily crash the system - but check the output in the test window for errors.
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.
Closed Thread