Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

PC's with OS 7 performance analyzing

This is a discussion on PC's with OS 7 performance analyzing within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Dear's hope you all are doing well i just started to work as a help desk in an education center

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 04:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Dear's
hope you all are doing well
i just started to work as a help desk in an education center that have 25+ desktop PC's
what i'm trying is to analyze the performance of each PC in order to take action on them like an upgrading or changing a hardware in it
so any body can help me with a way to do that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Hi there : wavey:
Your query is quite broad and does require some clarification to help us better understand what exactly you seek to do.

Firstly, do you wish to analyse them via a central utility (in a network environment) or do you not mind benchmarking each PC locally (as opposed to remotely benchmarking them)? This, in extension, begs the question of how the PCs are setup in your institution, that is, are there some local area networks possibly with server-client configurations?

Secondly, do you seek a free, possibly open source utility or do you not mind purchasing one?

Thirdly, what are the designated uses of the PCs? That number of PCs suggests systems with varying specifications and purposes. To make reliable inferences from benchmarks, you will have to consider the results in relation to the PC in question and what it's used for. For example, an (application/web/database etc) server (in a network environment of server-client setup) would be of different and often higher specs than the client PCs, yet it would still require some upgrading to increase its performance depending on its workload. Some other PC may be used for graphic intensive work and thus would require dedicated graphics, superior power supply, suitable motherboard, lots of RAM and so on. On the other hand, a secretary's or clerk's PC would be relatively of low specs yet still perform satisfactorily better (in its designated use) than the highly 'specced' systems thus requiring no upgrades.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

For starters though, I often find it quite informative to conduct Q&A sessions with the users of these PCs. Just remember to spare them the technical aspects of the PC's operation. Keep your language simple and plain, for example "does your computer take uncomfortably long to start or open a program?". My favorite line is "have you noticed any unusual behaviour with your computer?" or "Are you happy with the way your system operates?" if they answer no, ask them why they say so. You'll be surprised with the can of worms that simple question can open. That way I find it much easier to gather reliable information straight from the users and take action as necessary. Nothing beats human feedback and more often the said pc never even requires an upgrade, but some tweaking here and there. If this doesn't put a smile on the user's face, I get dirty with the system analyses and get deeper until it is resolved, upgrades being the last in line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 12:35 AM   #4
Registered Member

@Stancestans thank you for the reply

well, let me try to provide a full image here
we have like 4 lap's and each lap is designated for a special kind of training course
a lap for graphic's and multimedia courses
a lap for programming courses
....etc
the thing is i wanted to track the performance of each PC in order to take a protective action or provide an upgrade for the device also to be able to monitor the hardware deprecation and system resource's
so is there is any kind of application to do that ??
Old 02-17-2015, 02:23 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

I think Windows inbuilt Performance Monitor aka 'perfmon' is what you are looking for. Being an MMC snap-in, I think it would let you monitor local and remote PCs alike, though that's just my assumption, but I don't see why not. It's quite a not-so-user-friendly function, so it will take some getting used to, but nothing too hard to grasp. It should be efficient as long as you configure it to collect the relevant data and what actions to take and which alerts to issue and how often to do all this. For more information, start here. As for hardware deprecation, you are most likely limited to monitoring HDD and battery (of laptops and supported UPS) health. I have been using batterycare for a while now and it's quite good. It monitors charging cycles and charge capacity vs design capacity and indicates battery wear level in percentages and recommends full charge cycles at least once a month for optimal life service. Try it out and see if it does what you want. I'll update of other alternatives or you could Google around for similar utilities/alternatives.
Closed Thread