Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Operating partition full without files

This is a discussion on Operating partition full without files within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, Hope that somebody has an answer for this one: couple of days ago noticed that my operating partition

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Pin

Hi there,

Hope that somebody has an answer for this one: couple of days ago noticed that my operating partition (C:) have filled up - runed disk cleanup, defrag, cccleaner, checked temp, disabled hibernation and all the normal procedures to free up some space. Next day noticed the same issue again; this time I have updated partition space from 40Gb to 50Gb - until next day was filled up until 48 Gb without installing enything else.

If I am selecting all files from C: (including hidden files) it shows me a 31 Gb of files which should be the correct size of files considering that the drive was defragmented. I've double checked with Windows Directory Statistics and shows allmost the same - the issue remains that windows is showing an extra 18Gb of used space which are not covered by any files.

I consider myself a "know how" to run basic debugs butt this is something I can't solve. Any help would be apriciated. If this topic was already solved, sorry for the spam.

And just another thing - in this case I just can't format partition and reinstall windows coz it's a remote PC at 150Km :D

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Download and install Tree Size Free. Run as Administrator and it should show you where the space is being used.
JAM Software - Windows Freeware
Old 01-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks !

The Jam Software have a more realistic view of the situation - it shows actually the size which is occupied on disk (visible from My Computer).
Seems that situation is:
Total Windows Size 49.1Gb (on Right Click/Proprieties is only 22)
System32 : 29.7 (on Right Click/Proprieties is only 2.95)
and WinSys 13.4(on Right Click/Proprieties is only 13.3)

Soo the route cause would be the System 32 folder.

Scrubbing down into folders I have a 26.5Gb into:
System32/Config/Systemprofile/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5 - which would be 26.5Gb devided into "random" name folders.

I am assuming that I can just delete these .?. What would be the reason behind this? It's just that 10 Gb of temporary internet files can not stack during one day considering that I was accesing the PC 1-2 hour as database.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

And what I did not understood (sorry for beeing a noob) - why "those" files were not counted with Right Click/Proprieties.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
TSF Emeritus

Strange Windows 7 would have this path
System32/Config/Systemprofile/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5

Perhaps you restored old garbage after you installed Win7? Been awhile since IE5. Disk cleanup would not know about these files.

The difference between 29.5 and 29.7 and again with 13.4 vs 13.3 would be "slack"

Slack is the difference between actual file size and the space it occupies on disk.
Lets say you have a 9kb file. You have 4kb clusters. This means the file is only 9kb but it occupies three clusters for a total of 12kb. That 3kb of the 4kb cluster can't be written to for other files hence why its called slack.

Now multiple that with 1000s of files and you get the idea
Old 01-31-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
Troubled

Careful on the deletions. Generally speaking the larger the data, the safer it is to remove. Also note WHERE the data is. Bad idea to delete data from the \Windows directory without being absolutely certain you won't cause any problems.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
Strange Windows 7 would have this path
System32/Config/Systemprofile/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5
I bet he manually copied an XP hard drive onto a new Win7 hard drive and (or something like that) and what he's looking at is the ancient WinXP data, thinking it might be current Win7 data.
Closed Thread