Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

NVIDIA container stops working w/ api-ms-win-core-sysinfo-l1-2-1.dll in system32

This is a discussion on NVIDIA container stops working w/ api-ms-win-core-sysinfo-l1-2-1.dll in system32 within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I'm using windows 7 SP 1. The other day I was trying to play a game that said that

Old 03-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I'm using windows 7 SP 1. The other day I was trying to play a game that said that it could not run because I lacked a file which was not installed on my machine. That file it was lacking was called "XInput1_4.dll". I read online that I could fix this by downloading it and putting that file in the C/windows/system32 folder. Which I did. Then I tried to run the game again and now it said it needed yet another dll. This time it wanted "API-MS-Win-Eventing-ClassicProvider-L1-1-0" to be installed. So I installed that one as well into C/windows/System32. I tried the game again and again it is lacking a new dll. This time it wanted "api-ms-win-core-quirks-l1-1-0". So I put that file in windows/system32. Again I tried the game and it wanted a new dll file called "api-ms-win-core-sysinfo-l1-2-1.dll". I put that one in the folder windows/system32 also. Tried the game and it was still asking for another .dll.

I gave up on adding .dll files (and playing the game) but now I notice that the NVIDIA container program is crashing/failing this morning when I wake up (might have done it last night and I didn't notice). I decide to see about taking out the dll files I added to windows/system32 last night. I take all 4 files out except one that seems to be crashing windows explorer every time I try to cut/paste it out of the folder (and later I would try deleting it also but it says it's being used by a program so cannot be deleted, and even when I shut that program down it says a still different program is using that dll ad infinitum). So I can't get the file "api-ms-win-core-sysinfo-l1-2-1.dll" to get out of the windows/system32 folder because various programs are using it. I thought about using a file killer program, but oddly the MBAM file killer doesn't even show the file in the windows/system32 folder (I am guessing it is somehow hidden as I am showing "all file types" in the file killer program while looking in the folder). I tried another file killer program but it didn't kill the file either.

In any event, if anyone has any suggestions about truly deleting that file that is in use (maybe do safe mode or some kind of clean boot with no programs running to delete the file?) or else getting all the .DLL files I should be appropriately having in windows 7 SP1 and only those .DLL files I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
meatnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2020, 08:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

Also I should note that while the NVIDIA container was the only thing crashing I did some attempts to shut down the NVIDIA container (so I could delete the file I noted as having trouble deleting above) which I eventually did. But it just kept saying other programs were using the DLL and stopped me from deleting the DLL. Also I should note that after a few attempts at fixing the thing now the nvidia container may have stopped crashing (tho it seems to be running) but now random other programs that I have running in the background seem to be crashing in the same way, due, I presume to them trying to use this DLL. Still, I think killing the DLL should probably fix the issue, either that or getting a complete copy of all the DLL's appropriate to windows 7 installed should do it.
meatnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote