Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

New Video Card, PC reading lower RAM

This is a discussion on New Video Card, PC reading lower RAM within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer has had Vista since July '07 and it can only hold 1Gb of RAM. I had already upgraded

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

My computer has had Vista since July '07 and it can only hold 1Gb of RAM. I had already upgraded the RAM before full install of Vista. Now around November '07 I bought a brand new 256Mb video card from Wal-Mart. After I popped in the new card and took out the older one I turned on my computer happily anticipating the new graphics I was going to see. But once I checked the RAM, I only had 768Mb of physical RAM!!!! I turn off my computer and check the RAM and reseted it and turned on the computer again. Same thing :(

So I did my high school drop out math and I figured, 256 (vid card mem) + 1024 (RAM) = 1280 (total RAM) I figured that was too much for the motherboard to handle so then I subtracted 512 (one RAM chip) from 1280 (total RAM) = 768 (physical RAM after new card) see what I'm talking about?

Am I smart or what????? Ok anywho, I returned the card as defective, according the VisionTEK's support. Now I'm tired of seeing the dull blue from the windows and I want the glass look. I want to buy another video card but I don't know if that'll happen again.

Does anyone know what went wrong that first time so I don't try it again and spend money if it happens again?

BTW: I currently have a 128Mb Video Card from Ebay (was new) and I don't see the additional 128 to the physical RAM.....

Um, is it me or I'm confusing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

A standalone video card memory doesn't mix with system RAM. What i think is that in the BIOS settings, someone allocated the system RAM to video RAM, that would explain the reduced system RAM

Restart your computer, go to BIOS settings and check it out. Check whether is there any RAM allocated to video memory. If there is, you might wanna reduced it at first to see if there is a change in the physical RAM. If there is, then thats the culprit

Dun makes the video memory in the settings '0' however as i am unsure what it will do to your computer.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Alrighty thanks ^_^
Closed Thread