Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

my product key doesnt work

This is a discussion on my product key doesnt work within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hello i have just recently just got windows vista from my grandfather he only used it once but didnt do

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

hello i have just recently just got windows vista from my grandfather he only used it once but didnt do anything on it now i have it he had to activate it but the 30 day actvation period has expiered and i cant do much on the computer when i type in my product key to activate it, it just brings up a message box sayin 'this product key wiil not work with this version of windows' vist can someone plz help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

i forgot to mention the pc is windows vista home premium OEM software
Old 07-10-2011, 04:39 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

I think you will find you will have to ask for a new product key. Best thing is to contact microsoft and explain what happened. Have a look at article 949744 on the microsoft knowledge base first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Registered Member

thankyou i will do that but i now have another extremely big problem with the computer
Old 08-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

my computer started to install sp1 (service pack 1) and restarted and cuz its not activated the screen goes black and starts loading the programs that way it show how many programs there r to load and how many it has loaded but after the service pack istalation it stops loading the programs and just basically says error i need this computer fixed cuz thats how we now top up our gas and electricity
Old 08-05-2011, 04:04 AM   #6
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphadon View Post
hello i have just recently just got windows vista from my grandfather he only used it once but didnt do anything on it now i have it he had to activate it but the 30 day actvation period has expiered and i cant do much on the computer when i type in my product key to activate it, it just brings up a message box sayin 'this product key wiil not work with this version of windows' vist can someone plz help me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphadon View Post
i forgot to mention the pc is windows vista home premium OEM software
30-day activation refers to full retail version, not OEM versions.

OEM keycodes will not work with full retail versions and vice-versa.

You need to obtain the OEM recovery discs for your system - OEM / Retail Recovery Discs + Recovery Instructions

If your Grandfather's full retail version of Vista is not being used any longer, contact Microsoft - https://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 10-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

A computer can only be a KEY
Are you sure you have not used it?
Closed Thread