Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

My files format has changed to wrong format and icon

This is a discussion on My files format has changed to wrong format and icon within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello members, I'm starving to restore back the files into its original format and icon after trying to open one

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello members, I'm starving to restore back the files into its original format and icon after trying to open one file which has caused this hectic work.
I thought it could be a malware and decided to backup the data before formatting the hard disk but after reinstallation the same idiot coming....till now can not open any file.

Please I request your needful support to restore back my files ...
Thanks in advance

Regards,
Baraka
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Moved from Introduction thread.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
after reinstallation the same idiot coming....till now can not open any file
Did you try a System Restore to a time before this happened?
Go to Control Panel/Default Programs and change the file to the program you want to open it with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, Spunk if the OP has formatted, then system restore is somewhat mute. It appears from loading your backup that you have reintroduced your problem. Run the attached .zip file it returns a .reg file double click on this and agree to add to registry, this is safe as it is returning your system folder assoc to the defaults. Restart computer to take effect.

Folder.zip
Old 03-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks Jenae,I have run .reg but still the same.
The file format is .mp3 for all files....

Please assist !
Old 03-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, would have helped if you told us that in the first place, still no harm done you need to re associate either your .Lnk or your .Ico file associations. Run the attached .zip file double click and agree to add to registry, restart computer, I will give you both, try the fist one and if it doesn't work try the second, these are safe as they return the windows seven defaults.

Default Lnk.zip

Default Ico.zip
Old 03-07-2016, 01:44 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hello Jenae, thanks for your effort towards my problem....I have tried both options above .Icon and .Link unsuccessfully

After formatting the HDD i can create new files both excel and word docs without problem .Ony my backed data can not be restored back to its origin.
this is the format "Kasikana cares.xlsx.mp3"...I have tried to rename the file manually by deleting .mp3 ..the file changed to excel sheet but can not open to normal format as some unreadable language like Chinese.

Please assist me !
Old 03-08-2016, 12:46 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hello Members....anyone with solution for this hectic idiot of file format....all files turned to .mp3

The affected documents are MS office files and PDF types.

Take note: I have opted to back up the files and formatted the hard drive and reinstalled the same OS win 7...but unsuccessfully to get back its origin file types.

What a kind of malware attacked my files and how I can remove it and retain my files to its origin?
Old 03-08-2016, 03:38 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

When you format and install Windows 7, before restoring your backup, download a PDF from the internet and not from your backup and open it with the free Adobe Reader Does that work?
Now install MS Office, not from backup but from a CD. Download a Word document from the internet not your backup, does that work? If so, then the malware must be in your backup files.
Due to forum rules, we cannot assist with Virus/Malware removal here, please click on the link in my signature for Virus/Malware Help and post in that section of the forum and not here please.
Closed Thread