Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

My C drive is almost full on my HP Notebook!

This is a discussion on My C drive is almost full on my HP Notebook! within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My husband and I cannot figure out why! Any help? I ran the program suggested to someone else & uploaded

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

My husband and I cannot figure out why! Any help? I ran the program suggested to someone else & uploaded the text file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt $vssinfo.txt (2.8 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Visiting BSOD Expert
Microsoft Support Team

VSS is not using any disk space at all, according to the tool you ran. You might want to consider something a little easier to use/read - Spacemonger. Click the "Free Software" tab and download "SpaceMonger 1.4.0". You should be able to run that and get a nice graphical overview of the disk contents and where your space is used the most (note it's a little flaky on Win7 - it does crash from time to time. Simply run it again if it does and it should work fine).
Old 06-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok after I download it and run it what do I do with the information?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Visiting BSOD Expert
Microsoft Support Team

It will show you (in nice graphical blocks) what is consuming disk space - is there anything there showing much larger than the others? You could always take a screenshot (make it nice and large, for those among us with bad eyes ) and post it here for review.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip on Spacemonger. 75% of my hard drive is consumed by photos. Guess I need to store them on an external device. I have pics of my kids all the way back to 2000!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Visiting BSOD Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Yes, I would recommend that anyway (and a second backup somewhere else to be safe, of course).
Old 06-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ok this makes no sense. I have deleted over 7 years of pics and the space barely has moved! Pie chart looks the same! What gives?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

There are obviously large amounts of files that fall under photos that I am unaware of.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
Visiting BSOD Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Note that you can double-click the folder "blocks" to browse into that location - this might help you find things.