Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Must restart my computer to get it to work properly

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
Howdy, everyone! Hopefully one of y'all folks will be able to help me out or point me in the right direction...

When I start my computer, it boots to my desktop, but at that point it becomes unresponsive(Items in my quick-start menu will not highlight when I pass the cursor over them). If I click my mouse buttons, the computer freezes up for a while (couple mins) and it eventually returns an error message saying that the "program has become unresponsive," even though I had not attempted to manually execute a program. At this point it gives me the option to select 'end process' or '?cancel?'. When I select 'end process' option, all the icons on my desktop disappear and sometimes the icons in my quick-start bar disappear as well. Furthermore, if I do not promptly input my password when prompted for it on the initial boot-up sequence (prior to the desktop loading), then my computer freezes then and there with the "I'm thinking" icon. Ctrl+Alt+Del does not work in either of the situations described above. It is at this point that I hit my restart button, and then my computer boots fine (to my relief)! No delays....no problems, but I'm worried that it might be a sign of something more sinister or an indication of a mission critical hardware failure just around the corner.

My first step at attempting to fix this was to update all my drivers. Then I scanned for malicious software using current versions of CCleaner, Spybot, HijackThis, AVG, Avast and Malwarebytes, but those searches found nothing. I performed a defrag on my HD, but as it had gotten late and I expected it to take a long time, I went to bed (after making sure that the defrag had begun) with the intentions of checking the report in the morning. When I checked on it in the morning, there was no report, and the screen looked exactly as it did before I began the defrag process. There was no indication that a defrag had been performed. I think I remember XP giving some report on how much more efficient the defrag had made your HDD. Maybe Win7 does not do this. I don't know.

Today, I googled my computer's symptoms to try and find anyone who has had a similar experience (and hopefully a solution!), but didn't find a comparable failure. Maybe one of y'all can help. My fingers are crossed.

The OS/hardware I am using is as follows:
Win7 Home Premium v6.1 Build 7600
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD MoBo
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 125W Quad-Cor
G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) 1066 DDR2
WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD 7200 RPM

If more information would be helpful, please let me know, and I will be happy to provide it.

Thanks in advance,
Willy

See less See more
#5 ·
Joeten -

The Startup Repair didn't recognize anything to fix. I also ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool, which reported that no memory errors were detected. The SFC found no integrity violations, and when I went through the clean boot process, everything seemed to work fine. I couldn't isolate a service or startup program that was causing problems. It worked fine every time! I even took the extra precaution of 'exiting without restarting' and then shutting down my system since I know that it works on a restart, but even with a fresh boot-up it behaved like it did back in the good ol' days.

Dai -

The video card is a GeForce GTX 275 and my PSU is a Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX 12V.

When my computer freezes up and I have to restart, I have been selecting the option to start Windows normally. I have not started it in Safe Mode.

In the past couple of hours, I have rebooted (with a full power down, not just a restart) my computer about 15 times. It has worked fine every time. I'm not sure what has happened. Maybe it will only freeze when I power it up after it has been off for a long period of time.

Thanks to the both of you for your help. I will continue to check back here for any new posts.

Regards,
Willy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.