Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Multiple Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable (really necessary?)

This is a discussion on Multiple Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable (really necessary?) within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, well, first off, check this image: As you can see, I've blurred out all irrelevant programs. The rest, are

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
well, first off, check this image:

As you can see, I've blurred out all irrelevant programs. The rest, are all Microsoft-related-programs, and the highlighted are the multiple Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable applications I am talking about.

As you can see, there are two C++ 2005 Redisitributable, which doesn't make much sense. (although the first one weights 2.69MB and the second only 346KB) The last two that are highlighted are both C++ 2008 Redisitributable for x86, however the second is a newer version (do I really need the first version so that the last one can work?).

I ask this because I believe this is a complete waste of space and processing memory. Thank you in advance and if I missed any valuable information, please let me know and I will post it up ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

i know you hate it, i hate it.. but i don't want this post to fade away among the unanswered threads.

anyone, please?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

update: i checked the version of each c++ redistributable, and the 2005 are both the same version (i guess there must be something wrong so that there are two installations, isn't there?)

and regarding the 2008 redistributable, the second one is a newer version, although i wonder: do i need the first version for the next one to work?

thanks in advance.
chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

excuse me,
could anybody give me a hand?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #5

Some of them are updates (from automatic updates). Oddly enough, Microsoft didn't think of changing the name to reflect that's it's an update instead of the original program, but it's harmless. Leave it as it is. (I've seen one of the visual C++'s on my system, maybe both, and I've seen it it MSXML 4 SP2? too)
Old 12-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Registered Member

alright, glad to know it's not only me.
thank you ;)
Closed Thread