Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Moved TEMP and TMP files to external drive. But what if...?

This is a discussion on Moved TEMP and TMP files to external drive. But what if...? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I almost always use my tablet with an external hard drive which I set up to spare the internal SSD

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I almost always use my tablet with an external hard drive which I set up to spare the internal SSD the wear and tear of constant writes. I even set Environment Variables to write the TEMP and TMP files to the external drive, not the C drive.

But occasionally I might have to run the tablet without the external drive attached. What would Windows 7 do in such a situation? Would I get a BSOD? Or would Windows automatically set the TEMP and TMP files back to the original setting? And then when I connected the external drive again would I have to reset the environment variables for TEMP and TMP again?

And what would Firefox do? I set it up to write cache to the external drive.

Thanks for answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 03:32 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hi gumbyy :)

You wouldn't have BSODs, but you would get a lot of error messages saying that the location cannot be accessed and a lot of your programs wouldn't work since they won't be able to access your %tmp% and %temp% locations. It's the same as when you try to install a program and the installer cannot properly extract to the Local\Temp folder.

Technical Support, Tier 2

BleepingComputer Malware Response Team | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast), so if I'm assisting you in a thread, and I've not been online for a while, please check the time to see if I'm awake or asleep!
Old 06-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, this can be done it must however be properly done, read through the following link, read ALL of it before jumping in.

Change location of TEMP files folder to another drive - Microsoft Community

Old 06-09-2015, 11:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

thanks very much for the replies. So I guess the safest thing to do would be to change the TEMP and TMP file locations back to their original value before using the computer without the external drive, and then changing them back again when I am going to attach the drive? It's not that difficult to change the Environment Variables so this isn't a big problem.
Closed Thread