Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Lost Important File

This is a discussion on Lost Important File within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, first post here! I'm at wits end with customer service and was wondering if someone could help me

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #1

Hey guys, first post here!

I'm at wits end with customer service and was wondering if someone could help me out with my problem. This morning I was editing a screenplay on my laptop (Windows 7) with the program Final Draft; I'd printed the document off a few times as PDFs, but when I went to do it a third or fourth time, the printer boxes started freezing. Then the program shut down and now I can't get back in the file. I can load all of my other scripts fine except this one. When I try loading it, I get the message "This file is not supported by this version of Final Draft"... but I know it is. I then noticed that the file itself is 0.0KB -- Did the file just erase itself? Is there anyway to get it back?? In a desperate attempt, I tried system restore but, well, nothing. Please help me out -- I'd greatly appreciate it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

The first place to look is in the recycle bin.
I don't expect it to be there but do it just in case to be sure it isn't before it possibly gets emptied.

The next thing I would look at is the directory where the others are stored and see if a minor name change may have occurred or possibly a duplicate back up.
I have never used Final Draft so I don't know if that is possible.

Since you mentioned customer service are you possibly on a network?
Possibly look in the area of the network that you were connected to.

I would like to tell you to run system restore to a day or so ago but you have done that.
Possibly set it back further?

The only other thing I can think of offhand would be to run chkdsk /r and see if it will
find some corruption and fix it.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #3

nothing in the recycle bin, no luck with being on a network, and I doubt an earlier restore point will do the trick :(

I haven't run a chkdsk /r, but I don't really know how to. I found a relatively recent version of the script, so I guess the easiest thing to do rather than wasting time mucking around is to edit it against the PDF that my computer created before the old file crashed. sigh. thanks anyway
Closed Thread