Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Locked out of C drive via Permissions in security tab

This is a discussion on Locked out of C drive via Permissions in security tab within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My girlfriend was having an issue with her Windows 7 Ultimate computer while I was out, so I told her

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 04:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

My girlfriend was having an issue with her Windows 7 Ultimate computer while I was out, so I told her how she could fix said issue, the day prior to this I had done some maintenance on it as she wanted to start using that computer again (it's a gaming computer she stopped using for about two weeks because it was running a little slower) and some scans found over 5,000 objects to be removed. It fixed a lot but there were a couple issues left and I didn't have enough time to finish tinkering with it, and there was one issue she could handle while I was gone. Or so I thought. She somehow got into the Security tab for her C drive and changed the permissions under the security tab. Now nothing can be altered on the drive, and I've tried a multitude of things to attempt to reverse this.

I would have simply backed it up and went ahead with a fresh install if not for the fact that she has So much on that computer (The scans went through over 400,000 files)

I've already attempted a system restore, went into the secret Administrator account in Safe mode to attempt to take ownership/change permissions where it said I was denied access, I attempted the following in Windows RE after booting with a USB thumb drive I freshly created specifically for this reason:

Went into command prompt and input the following (From within Windows RE after booting with said thumb drive containing windows ultimate SP1):

C:
takeown /A /F C:\
takeown /A /F C:\Windows
takeown /A /F C:\Windows\System32

No dice.

I'm a generally tech-savvy guy, I used to work for a computer repair company etc and it's rare that I get stumped by things involving repairing a rig- but I'm at my wits end on this one. Are there any other possible commands to be tried in Windows RE? I've yet to attempt turning off UAC and attempting to take ownership again to change the permissions, but I'm not sure if that would even take hold given the state of the permissions.

Note: I am able to get a command prompt open in Safe mode as an administrator.

Would making a new partition on said machine, installing Windows 7 onto it and attempting to seize ownership using that partition or attempting a Repair install via the USB drive, or, really, anything else for that matter be viable?

Any insights or fixes would be greatly appreciated. There's a lot on her computer she doesn't want to lose, and honestly would take ages to even attempt to back-up.

Edit: I also heard about this program or whatever while trying to figure this out after the windows RE failed me. Is this actually a thing (as in, is it legit) and does it work/would it work for the C drive via any method? It's called Permissions Time Machine on a website called AMYD Projects - Official WebSite

Again, thanks for any help - or attempted help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, it is UAC at work, so you will need to disable it first, go into the RE again and select command prompt type:-regedit , you will need to load the hive so go to file (main menu) and select load hive, the one you want is SOFTWARE, (navigate to C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE ) call it FIX and open the new FIX hive, navigate to:- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

locate the "enableLUA" in the right payne, right click and select modify, change value data to 0, then highlight the FIX hive, go to file from main menu and select "unload hive"

Restart computer and right click C: drive, properties, you should now be able to access security permissions.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks- I just had the time to go and do this. I'm writing this as I'm getting ready to start messing with the permissions, but- Just in case I'm forced to seize ownership of the C drive to edit the permissions, the original owner of the C drive is TrustedInstaller, correct? So that I can change it back to avoid security issues later. Just want to make sure I have it correct in thinking that it's TI and not SYSTEM before I make a mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

Update: Permissions have been fixed, but I had to seize ownership like I thought I would. So my above question is still out there, when changing Ownership back to the original owner I simply type in "TrustedInstaller", correct? And it is TrustedInstaller not SYSTEM I believe?
Closed Thread