Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Local area network connection issues.

This is a discussion on Local area network connection issues. within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Here's the basic deal. I'm running on a toshiba laptop, at my parents place (up visiting for a week) My

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Here's the basic deal. I'm running on a toshiba laptop, at my parents place (up visiting for a week) My father is running off of a desktop

We both use win 7 64 bit

We are hardwired into a router.

We both run firewall and anti-virus programs and have come up clean in both cases.

Other systems plugged into the same router still have local area access.

We have both recently installed logmein hamachi to be able to operate more easily as a lan, along with the other family members.

The systems other than those two things don't have a lot of similarities.

At the time we started having issues, the VPN software was completely off and disabled on both computers.

His computer suddenly was not able to connect to the LAN, within 15 minutes, in the middle of researching a web page to try and get him running, my computer suddenly was also no longer able to connect.

Restarted the router
Ran the winsock fix
Installed new ethernet drivers
In the case of running an ipconfig it reads as everything disabled and for obvious reasons cannot renew.
DHCP is enabled
Ran the system hardwired into a backup router coming off the main modem, didn't make a difference

Says that it's connected into the LAN and you can see other systems on the router, but cannot connect through to the internet.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I recently worked on a system where one of the users had installed VPN software possibly Hamachi and it completely ruined the networking on that system. Try rolling back to a restore point if you have one from before you installed the VPN software.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

first thing i always check whenever we get any network problems is in the device manager, view all hidden and check in networks to see if there is any 6to4 adapters or ISATAP remove all and try again also i always check network card properties and for test only untick any security protocols(remember to enable it back after testing).
this may help but a print out fo your ipconfig /all would help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Registered Member

Ran the 6to 4 etc.. Not an issue there.

The other systems that were connected to the vpn earlier are now also down, experiencing the same issues. Interestingly, the restore points where normally there are 5 or so, there are none before the VPN was installed. Worst case scenario we can just pull important files and drop a new copy of windows on each system.

All the systems check out virus and malware free with freshly installed protocols running off of a clean external HD.

Just knocked out the netbios after posting this log, didn't make much of a difference.

C:\windows\system32>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hudoken
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet C
ontroller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 60-EB-69-83-71-57
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f8c9:5ed8:f6f3:d0c0%17(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.208.192(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 174123881
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-C9-E6-FD-60-EB-69-83-71-57

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{6955DB30-C0C8-409E-AD32-B4F8794AE37E}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Old 08-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

There comes a time in a man life when he feels like a giant moron. For me, this time is now...

Apppaarreenntttlllyyy. My father at some unknown time to me decided to build a "home network" as such, he put together a string of 6 routers. I reset the three I knew about. Not knowing about the other three. As soon as I reset the rest of the line, everything works again. Apparently something to do with how the VPN was functioning causes the router system/modem to decide that the IP addresses on the systems operating on the VPN were not valid.

Go figure...
Closed Thread