Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Loading an OS onto an external HD

This is a discussion on Loading an OS onto an external HD within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay guys, got a bit of a problem. I've had my HP Pavilion for a little over a year and

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

Okay guys, got a bit of a problem.
I've had my HP Pavilion for a little over a year and my HD has already decided to fail on me. (Go figure)

My question is:
I've been searching everywhere to figure out how to correctly load an OS (Win 7 Home Premium) onto my external HD and be able to boot from it. I know HOW to do it, but this HD is a bit picky.

My problem:
I go to load the OS when I see that it says, "Windows cannot be installed to Disk 2 Partition 1. (Show details)". Then when I click on it, I get this message:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Endure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

What I'm getting from it is that I just need to check the BIOS settings to turn the controller on, correct? Is there anything else that any of you would recommend? Any questions/comments would be awesome.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

How many months is the laptop out of warranty?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, Masterchief!

It's not a laptop, it's a desktop. I checked on the Hitachi website to check the warranty on it and it said that the serial number was invalid. So I'm guessing that they just offer a 1 year limited warranty. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Oh, and I've only had it for maybe a year and just a few months.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casonmci View Post
Thanks, Masterchief!

It's not a laptop, it's a desktop. I checked on the Hitachi website to check the warranty on it and it said that the serial number was invalid. So I'm guessing that they just offer a 1 year limited warranty. :/
you said you have a hp pavilion you need to go to hp's website not hitachi's.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Call HP and say your PC is failing and it is only two months out of warranty. They will replace it for free.
Closed Thread