Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Lenovo X61 tablet with Vista problem

This is a discussion on Lenovo X61 tablet with Vista problem within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Lenovo X61 tablet PC model 7767 B7U running Windows VISTA business. I first brought one about 3

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #1

I have a Lenovo X61 tablet PC model 7767 B7U running Windows VISTA business.

I first brought one about 3 and a half months ago. It would lock up and occasionally get blue screens. I called their tech support, ran a HD scan which turned up good, downloaded all necessary drivers, still did not fix the problem. So I sent it in for repairs. The problem persisted, and I sent it in another two times. The problem persisted, after a Hard Drive, System board and memory replacement. I exercised my warranty to get it replaced.

Guess what? The new one has the exact same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do, because I just don’t understand!

A description of the problem: The cursor will simply turn into that little blue circle and the program (internet browser, Microsoft Word, etc….) will simply cease to respond. If I click on another program, I will be able to move in it for about 2 seconds until the pointer becomes the blue circle again and then it will stop responding.
One time, I had task manager open when this was happening. I noticed no memory spikes or anything. There were 3 different programs running, each one stopped responding as soon as I clicked on it.
I cannot figure out a common variable with these freeze ups, they occur whether I’m on the internet or not, whether I’m using Microsoft Word or Powerpoint, whether I’m in Tablet mode or not, etc….
The freeze ups occur anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 and a half hours.

The only software I have installed since getting the computer is:
-I have ran the “Lenovo Drivers update” program several times to get all of their updates
- I have ran the Windows update several times to get all of their updates
- Mcafee Virus protection software
- Office 2007 Business edition
- Mozilla Firefox
- Itunes

Anyway, does anybody have ANY idea what I could do to diagnose the problem, besides calling their crappy tech support who did absolutely nothing in the past? Thank you.

-Trent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #2

Hi Trent,

I have had the same problems you mentioned, and have been unable to determine a common denominator for when my computer decides to freeze up. Even if I leave the computer alone for a couple of hours, it is still frozen when I come back and I have to manually restart the computer by pressing and holding the power button. The problem has gotten worse in the past couple of months, and I sometimes have to manually shut off my computer a couple of times a day.

I'd love to know if you or anyone else has found a solution.

Thanks,
Kara
Old 12-17-2007, 08:07 AM   #3

I found out that it would not freeze up if it were on high performance mode. Therefore, I reasoned correctly that one of the power settings was responsible. I compared the power settings, and found the culprit. Here is what you will need to do to solve the problem, IF you were experiencing an identical problem to mine:

1.) Left click on the vertical windows Vista battery icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen
2.) Select "More power options"
3.) Select "Change plan settings" under Power Saver
4.) Select "Change advanced power settings"
5.) Select "Hard disk"
6.) Select "Windows Hybrid Hard Disk Power Savings Mode"
7.) Change it to disabled for "On battery" and "Plugged in"

The good news is, no more crashes. The bad news is, this reduces the battery life on Power Savings mode to 5 hours. But give it a shot, and let me know your results!

-Trent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #4

Trent - You are my hero! This solution is gold!

My Lenovo X61 Tablet running Vista has been a lemon since I got it. I called tech support twice and had the system board switched once because it kept freezing up on me. I upgraded the RAM and even rebuilt it with the system image 3 times! Nothing would fix my freezing up problem while running on battery. It wouldn't freeze up while on A/C power, but as soon as I switched to battery, bam lock up.

The solution you posted fixed all my X61 problems! I had no idea about Vista's extra layer of power protection. IBM/Lenovo obviously doesn't know about it either since they couldn't resolve my problem.

Nice job and thanks again for the post.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #5

Good, I'm definitely stoked that my solution worked for you!

-Trent
Old 02-03-2008, 03:07 AM   #6

Trent:

I can't thank you enough for your X61 tablet lock advice. Lenovo had already sent me the box to return 7767 tablet for board replacement that would not have helped at all.
I followed your advice and it worked perfectly!
Only Lenovo would ship a portable computer that would not operate on battery AND have no idea how to fix it.

Once again my thanks!
Frank Turner
Old 03-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #7

Trent,

Thank you! It's been 2 months - and the laptop hasn't had any problems since I followed your advice.

~Kara
Old 04-10-2008, 05:10 AM   #8

Hello! I also own a Lenovo x61 tablet that has been giving me problems since the day i bought it when running on battery. I also thought I had a lemon and was one more lockup away from throwing my tablet into on-coming traffic!

I have followed your solution and am now awaiting results, as soon as all is well i shall let you know! again, thanks! this is the closest i have ever been to solving this mystery problem that has been plauging me for months.

steve
Old 10-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #9

I have seen this same problem. This laptop freezes a couple a few times per day whether or not on battery. I've rebuilt the operating system three or four times since purchase a year ago. Now I try to avoid installing any applications directly onto the machine and instead install onto a VMware image for quicker recoverability. In the past I have often also seen the laptop shutdown without any warning message (like someone pulled the plug on a desktop). I have never seen a laptop with a charged and intact battery do this before. Since the last reinstall of the operating system this has only happened once or twice. With regards to the problem with the laptop freezing, I have also independently found the same solution.It appears that either Vista or the laptop has a problem with managing processes when going to sleep. If the computer tries to go to sleep when it's busy processing something then often the computer will freeze. I have found that changing the computers power settings so that it never goes to sleep does help to dramatically reduce the incidence of the computer freezing. But it also dramaticaly reduces battery life. All in all ... this laptop kind of sucks. It causes a lot of trouble, its way underpowered (slower than the laptop I had years ago), and the lack of a windows CD means that your only option when the computer won't boot is to reinstall the operating system from the hidden partition on the disk. The physical build quality is good through ... the chassis is robust and still looks and works like new a year after purchase. Most Dell computers I've had tend to fall apart from use.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

For info, you should be able to burn Vista Recovery DVDs on all laptops. I have various brands here and have done so on all except Toshiba and Fujitsu - as they came w/Recovery DVDs.

This thread is now closed due to expiration - it is over 1 year old.

jcgriff2

Closed Thread