Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Laptop Turns on a Boots but Won't Get to Windows/log on Screen

This is a discussion on Laptop Turns on a Boots but Won't Get to Windows/log on Screen within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone. This question is regarding my girlfriends laptop. I'm usually pretty decent with computers but I'm at a bit

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone.

This question is regarding my girlfriends laptop. I'm usually pretty decent with computers but I'm at a bit of a loss on this one (I usually removes virus and malware). I was wondering if someone can help me out.

One day my girlfriend shut her computer down and Windows did one of those automatic update. When she turned her computer on again the next day Windows applied the updates and the laptop made it to step 3 and stopped at 98% and stayed that way for hours. Eventually she shut the computer off and when she rebooted it it did a system recovery on startup (before a login screen). She's done this a few times and every time she shuts her computer down it does the updates again even though there is no indication that updates will be installed when she shuts it down. This has happened for a while.

Today the computer was working completely fine and she shut it down and this time the computer didn't update but when she reboot it it went to the system recovery procedure....but it never started. Sorta got stuck in limbo. Naturally, she shut the computer down again but now the computer boots get passed the BIOs and the Windows start-up screen, but now it just goes completely black with just a mouse icon. It's sat here for a few hours now with just a black screen and a point. The pointer occasionally goes into a processing animation but nothing happens. I've tried booting safe mode, nothing. Same thing happens.

I really don't know what the problem is here. I want to fix or address the problem but I don't know what it is to begin with. I would be able to reboot the OS but because my girlfriend is a college student and final exams are less than a month away I don't want to potentially lose her files if possible. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what was going on here to give me a better view of my options with trying to fix this.

I appreciate the help from anyone who can provide it. I'll be checking this topic frequently so if anyone needs more information I will do my best in providing it.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Well, if you don't want to install a fresh OS over the old one, why don't you give system restore a try. Check and see if you still have the restore point that was created, before that troubling update was installed. By default, system restore keeps only 1 or 2% worth of your hard disk space for its restore points, anything pass that, it will delete the older restore points.

System restore should be located in the system recovery options.

If the restore point was deleted, then i suggest you should just install a fresh OS over the old one. Its perfectly safe, just make sure you don't delete the partition. During the installation process, just straight install it over the old one, a screen should pop up saying "The partition you selected might contain older files....etc..etc....you'll be able to access these files in windows.old file"

The windows.old file should be located in you C: drive after you install the fresh OS.

These are probably you're only option.

From your problem, i;m thinking you either installed some updates that weren't compatible with your laptop, or you might of had a firewall that blocked the installation. And windows just didn't know how to handle the situation. That may explain why it was in that repeating updating state and also why that system recovery screen popped up at start up.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Boot off of a Windows 7 DVD and choose Repair Your Computer. In the RE (Recovery Environment) choose Command Prompt and type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 04:03 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

One recommendation do not hard shutoff a pc it can cause bad sectors on a HDD.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 11-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. Shutting off the computer is something I wouldn't have done. I can't monitor my girlfriend's computer use and well frankly, sometimes she just doesn't listen to me. I'm sure someone will understand that.

Half my problem is I can't even reach system restore. This screen goes to black before I can get to anything. I left it on charged all night and nothing. So I'm going to try and recover/repair everything and hope for the best for her.

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the help.
Closed Thread