Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

laptop turned off during update - won't turn on.

This is a discussion on laptop turned off during update - won't turn on. within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I recently received a windows update to install sp1 During the update my power cable came out and the

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
I recently received a windows update to install sp1
During the update my power cable came out and the laptop turned off. I now can't turn the laptop on. I've tried start up repair which hasn't worked and also tried restoring to a previous point but it just keeps trying to finalise but not getting anywhere. I've also tried to restore to factory settings but it keeps saying error. I have no back up disk and as my laptop is 3 years old and a basic free laptop from university I don't wabt to pay too much to get it fixed. I havr windows vista home.
Is there anything I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF can you take it to tech support at the university they should have a install disc to run a repair from or reinstall
if you need to save your data there are a couple of ways this is one
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek
getting one of these and connecting it to another computer is another usb sata caddy 2.5 - Google Search

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,
I've left university now and am unable to get the CD off them. Am I able yo buy a cd to allow me to reinstall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi somwhere like here Amazon.co.uk: windows vista home basic

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redirecting Issues - rundll32.exe and System Restore.
Hi All, I suspect that my computer has recently been infected with a virus etc. Over the past several days the computer has been playing up and I have noticed that I am being directed to other web sites other than those, which I have chosen. Also, when I shut my computer down via “start” –...
thomasanthony Resolved HJT Threads 34 08-24-2011 01:52 PM
Hijacked netbook? freezing up Acer AspireOne
To whom it may concern: Thanks for taking the time to help me. My Acer netbook worked great for over a year before it recently was overcome with locking up / freezing issues. I've performed many hard reboots lately, which leads me to believe I have a nasty trojan or rootkit issue, but I have...
badbassrandy Windows XP Support 3 04-26-2011 05:44 PM
Malware
Hi, my laptop got hijacked. When I power my laptop it will bootup and then I will get a security alert that says, "Virus Alert! Application can't be started! The file mpcmdrun.exe is damaged. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now? If you press yes, then it will open Internet...
dv82u Resolved HJT Threads 14 03-19-2011 12:46 AM
virus ends all programs, help please
Hello there, the other day whilst not really paying attention I allowed a fishy program to bypass my firewall, and it basically just shuts down any prgrm I open, and opens some fake virus software stuff. Anyways help please, I don't want to buy a new computer yet :grin:
redphase Inactive Malware Help Topics 8 02-25-2011 12:14 PM
Random popups and site redirecting virus
Hello, I'm new to the forum and my problem is that I'm being redirected to unwanted sites like Tazinga or Binkx. I'm running Windows XP and my laptop is about 7 years old. Any help would be great! Here are the Hijack specc UNLESS SPECIFICALLY INSTRUCTED, DO NOT POST THIS LOG. IF REQUESTED,...
Hexamus Inactive Malware Help Topics 2 01-11-2011 08:15 PM