Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Laptop "repairs", updates, reboots, repairs, updates, reboots, etc!

This is a discussion on Laptop "repairs", updates, reboots, repairs, updates, reboots, etc! within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Thought I would pick your brain here because I am out of ideas and told my friend to reformat the

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

Thought I would pick your brain here because I am out of ideas and told my friend to reformat the laptop.

She called me to tell me that her computer will start, go through like a "repair" sequence, then do an "update" sequence (like windows updates)..then restart, and go through the SAME THING again and never booting to Windows. It is a vicious circle it is in. She told me that she never interrupted any Windows updates while they were going on in the past so I really don't know what lead the PC to this behavior. They let the laptop even sit and go through this for like 3 hours and it just keeps doing it.

Apparently the recover CD thing isn't working, either, for her, to get it out of this funk.

She really doesn't want to reformat it in case she has something on there that isn't backed up, but I honestly have no other answers for her.

Anyone know what is going on with this thing and why? Any other solutions besides a reformat?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Registered Member

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 08-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, this is difficult we do not have much information what make model are we dealing with here? Does she have access to a Vista DVD (anyone's copy will do) you need to activate the "Repair your computer" option, and use a command prompt, with HP laptops for eg you press F11when the HP logo shows then the "advanced" option then the alt + d keys to open a command prompt. At the prompt you need to type the following (copy and paste if you like):-

At the prompt type:-

Code:
C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml C:\windows\winsxs\pending.old.xml press enter
C:\windows\winsxs\cleanup.xml -> C:\windows\winsxs\cleanup.old.xml press enter
Do not worry if the last command returns an error. Now restart the computer
The installing nag will still be there however it will soon go away and you will be able to access windows. Now go to start search and type services.msc navigate to windows update right click and “stop” service. Then open windows explorer (the file manager) and navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution click on “SoftwareDistribution” and delete ALL that appears in the right payne of explorer.

Reboot your computer check that windows update has started again (services.msc) and try windows updates again all should be ok.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

Actually, you know? I guess I didn't think about getting that info....but I will pass this on to her.....thank you!!!!!
Closed Thread