Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Laptop powers of during Vista boot

This is a discussion on Laptop powers of during Vista boot within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop is powering off directly after the loading screen for Vista. I can load safe mode (from where I

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

My laptop is powering off directly after the loading screen for Vista. I can load safe mode (from where I am writing this), however, I cannot use the DVD drive to read any disks (such as the Vista disk for repairs...), as it also powers off when I put in a CD/DVD.

Furthermore, I cannot boot from a DVD either, as it powers of before the boot process, if I power up the computer with a disk in the DVD tray. This is before even encountering any OS installation (seemingly).

What can possibly be the issue?

Would it be safe to uninstall harddisk drivers for a reinstall, or could I risk losing data or ability to boot up if I do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi -

Given that you can boot into SAFEMODE, a start-up app may be responsible. Use MSCONFIG to troubleshoot.

See "Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility" --> https://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 04-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

As expected, did not help. The computer powers off abruptly after the loading screen but before the welcome screen (it just turns dark for a second or two, and then powers off without a restart), I dont think any startup apps have a chance to begin loading. Seems to be something closer to the hardware.

Il try flashing the BIOS if possible in safe mode, if that fails il try to find an alternate boot harddisk to see if its something with the hardware.

Still open for tips.

Would of course prefer not to need to reinstall everything, is it possible to do a partial migration or something to a new OS installation? (If i can even use the DVD drive after a possible reformating).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Registered Member

It is definitely not the OS installation. I did find bad clusters on my HDD, however, replacing it with a new one did not mend the above issues.

The computer will power off during the following circumstances

- When i put in a CD/DVD before boot (sometimes, at other times it continues)
- When I plug in an external, USB-powered HDD to the computer (however, not when I plug in an HDD with an external power supply)
- Sometimes when booting up
- Inside the OS if boot is succesfull, after some time of use (not in safe mode though, for some reason)

Since i could not install an OS on the new HDD from the installation DVD(either it powers of when I put in the DVD, or when it loads the installation, and if all of that has passed it will crash during installation), I had to put it on an external hdd from which I managed to install it. The above issues persist, and the computer will also power off if:

- The CD/DVD unit is used in the OS
- I try to use an external, USB-powered HDD in the OS

And again, inside the OS after some time of use.

It is not the OS then, not the HDD, not the temperatures (which Ive checked), not the RAM sticks (ive tested them). I am thinking maybe it has something to do with the Power Supply... but why then, will it work in safe mode (or if i pull out the RAM sticks and power it up, nothing will cause a shutdown before BIOS screen has appeared)?

My worst suspicion is a BIOS malfunction or malware . Is there some way I can wipe the BIOS and reflash it completely?

Or what else may it be?

P.S. I think the thread can be moved from the OS section.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

P.S. 2. If I plug in a USB flash drive, it will work for a while, powering up the unit, but the computer will power off as the drivers have been installed. That is, only when it recognizes it for what it is, will it power off (meaning, a combination of data transfer and power output). What kind of component in the hardware is it that is triggered at this point (and presumably failing), if any.

This is certainly the weirdest PC issue ive ever experienced...

Can a moderator please alter the title to: "The weirdest PC issue ever experienced" .
Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Check PSU.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

I used to have that problem too until I played with the BIOS. Then not only did the problem go away, but my Dell Latitude E6400 started up more quickly.
Closed Thread