Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop godawfully slow boot & operation

851 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I've a problem I need help diagnosing. Before I start describing it, here's a little background and specs.

I'm using a laptop I bought in December 2014, the Lenovo Y50-70, Win7 Ultimate x64 (pre-installed, so no CD/DVD/flash drive to reinstall from), Intel i5 4210, 2.90 GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD divided into two partitions.

My laptop had been working more or less without problems. Sure, loading times slowed down as time went on, but no serious issue with it whatsoever. After our holiday at the start of June (where we were using an open Wi-Fi network), it started acting up. As I came home and turned the laptop on, I got a BSOD a couple of minutes after typing in my windows login password. Restarted the computer, got to the windows login again and the same happened.

I booted into safe mode and wanted to do a system restore, but there was no restore point available. I wanted to create a manual restore point, but an error prevented me from doing so. After days of trying to find a solution, I finally managed to create a system restore point, but the computer has been extremely slow ever since. Not to mention programs keep on crashing on a regular basis. DxDiag crashes 2 minutes after I open it, Lenovo service bridge crashes 5 minutes after logging into Windows, and HP Assistant Support always loads even though I specifically disabled that program from starting up. Some programs don't even start, e.g. I wanted to run Sims 2, it appeared in my Task Manager as running, but the program never loaded.

Boot times are a joke. After typing in my password, I have to wait a minute and a half for the computer to get into Windows and then another 10 minutes for it to load all the essential (and only essential) software.

Can anyone please tell me or guide me through diagnostics - how can I locate the culprit or culprits causing these issues? I know I could just format the computer and be done with it, but I don't want to do that just yet.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Chances are great that the HDD is beginning to fail.
Boot into Safe Mode, in the search bar type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type chkdsk /R and press Enter, Type a Y for Yes, then Restart the computer. Check Disk will start at next bootup and take a long time. If this lasts overnight, or if it hangs for several hours in the same spot, the HDD needs to be replaced.
If that goes well then download HD Tune (standard) go to the Error Scan. tab and do the full scan, if you get several Red blocks, the HDD are bad and the drive needs to be replaced.

#3 ·
Chances are great that the HDD is beginning to fail.
Boot into Safe Mode, in the search bar type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type chkdsk /R and press Enter, Type a Y for Yes, then Restart the computer. Check Disk will start at next bootup and take a long time. If this lasts overnight, or if it hangs for several hours in the same spot, the HDD needs to be replaced.
If that goes well then download HD Tune (standard) go to the Error Scan. tab and do the full scan, if you get several Red blocks, the HDD are bad and the drive needs to be replaced.
Thank you for your message and help.

I ran chkdsk /r through the night, logged into Windows just fine this morning and started the basic check with HD Tune. The program found four red blocks, two at the start and two in the last quarter of blocks. It says the damaged blocks represent 0.2% of all blocks.

Is that worrisome?

#5 · (Edited)
If you only have a few, that is OK. Check Disk moved the data that is on the bad sectors to good sectors near by. There are only a limited amount of spare sectors to move data to. So, going forward, check back with HD Tune, if the bad sectors increase, then you will need to replace the HDD.
Always keep a current backup of the files you want to keep, and be prepared to replace the drive in the near future (ie) have a Windows install Disk/USB and your favorite program discs handy.
If you can, replace the drive now with an SSD and you will have faster boot times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.