Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Keyboard Not Functioning Correctly

This is a discussion on Keyboard Not Functioning Correctly within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop keyboard is not working correctly. Some of the keys do not type what is writen on them, for

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

My laptop keyboard is not working correctly. Some of the keys do not type what is writen on them, for example, i type '0' on my laptop, '/' appears on my screen Some keys do display the correct character, my laptop is useless without full use of the keyboard!

I have plugged in a normal size keyboard and it works perfectly

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Did you spill anything on the laptop's keyboard? Even water can cause damage.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Location: 302, Saraswati Sadnam Complex, Dharampeth, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India-440010

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to smit@india

check the keyboard layout..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

[email protected],
If both keyboards were exhibiting the same behavior, your comment would apply. Since they don't, it doesn't.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

im so confused right now, this is starting to piss me off because its getting in the way of my homework and such, ill take any suggestions even that keyboard layout one if you could tell me how it works that would be kool thank you (:
Old 04-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Please answer my question. I asked you if anything was spilled on it.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

sorry i did but it was over 2 months ago nd the keyboard just recently stopped working about 2 weeks ago if im not mistaken.. and some of the keys work sometimes, but recently for some reason my laptop will go into some diaognostic start up thing nd i dont do it i keep clicking the esc button to get out of it nd windows goes straight to regular start up.. and i dont know why it goes to that digognostic thing it was random as well.. i wish i could stop that too. but ever since that has started happening the key board stoped working and sometimes, and the times that the laptop didnt go into the diaognostic mode the keyboard would work so im pretty sure thats the problem but idk how to fix that either.. :/
Old 04-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #8
Registered Member

Open note pad and click all the keys... then chake it.... IF its random keys, you have to clean your keyboard using a stick like toothpick. If close keys are not working you have to bring it to rapier
Old 04-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

What did you spill on it? Something like a cola can cause corrosion over time. Water will often simply dry without causing long term damage as long as you shut the laptop down immediately and don't start it again until it drys out.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
Registered Member

it was like oily substance.. but like i said i know that i can just get the laptop to stop going into that diognostic mode thing when i turn it on and off again all my problems will be gone..
Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

What sort of "diagnostic thing" is it? What does it say? Is it maybe chkdsk? If so, let it run it's course.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
Registered Member

i let it run its course but it took 5 hours one time and i needed my lap top at the time but i left then came back and the lap top was off when i came back so i figured it was finished ? but then when i started it up it just did it again.. when i turn it on it say "diognostic boot selected" or something like that
Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

I would run a hard drive diagnostic tool at this time. What make and model laptop is it?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
Registered Member

how do i do that ? and it is a VOSTRO 1050 by Dell
Old 04-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to Dracia Send a message via MSN to Dracia

That sounds like the Dell diagnostics that starts when you press a certain key while the computer is booting. Because your keyboard is acting up due to the spillage, it is obviously detecting that key press, thus starting the diagnostics.

Laptop keyboards are so easy to ruin ^_^
Old 04-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #16
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Dell does include hard drive diagnostics in with their general diagnostics. If you computer is booting to that screen as Dracia suggests, then run them from there. Dracia could also be correct that the spillage could be causing the key to be "pressed" causing that screen to appear. A new keyboard may be in order here. Did you happen to get the extended warranty from Dell that covers damage?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
Registered Member

Location: 302, Saraswati Sadnam Complex, Dharampeth, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India-440010

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to smit@india

Do you have the Dell Drivers & Utilities (Resource CD)....Is your laptop under warranty....the diagnostics that starts....does it say Preboot System Assessment (PSA)....If yes then the Fn key must be affected by the spillage....from the Dell Drivers & Utilities (Resource CD) you can run a test on the keyboard & HDD,if some keys dont work you will get an error code....note down the error code & if your laptop is under warranty call Dell Technical support & tell them the error code....they will replace the keyboard....GOOD LUCK....
Old 04-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
Registered Member

hey so yea thats what im thinking as well. i did get the warranty thank god haha.. when i ran the test again 2 problems should up with the keyboard then i was screwed because the functions weren't working correctly nd i called dell and they ran me through some test and in conclusion he just said that he would send me a new keyboard to install
Old 04-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Great news. That warranty is expensive, but really nice to have.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to Dracia Send a message via MSN to Dracia

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny..daoud View Post
hey so yea thats what im thinking as well. i did get the warranty thank god haha.. when i ran the test again 2 problems should up with the keyboard then i was screwed because the functions weren't working correctly nd i called dell and they ran me through some test and in conclusion he just said that he would send me a new keyboard to install
Wait, to install by yourself? I've never done that before, so I hope it's not a difficult task. I always just bought a USB keyboard to put on top of the laptop.