User Tag List

keyboard issue?

This is a discussion on keyboard issue? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi i hope someone can help firstly, apologies as im typing this on the onscreen keyboard all of a sudden

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

hi i hope someone can help
firstly, apologies as im typing this on the onscreen keyboard

all of a sudden my keyboard on my hp laptop has stopped working. it started by typing multiple letters as if two keys were stuck e.g. yeah came out as ]ye,a,h.

i tried restarting but this time some keys didnt work at all. after another restart no keys work. the device manager reports no problems. when i restarted thesecond time it gave the option to boot windows 7 but i didnt know what it was so i didnt. also when entering my password it started typing on its own as if keys were stuck down but none seem to be stuck. ive run a full virus scan which came back clear. also tried restore 2 eaelier time to no avail. laptop is only 2 months old and the os is windows 7. anyone know what could have happened or how to fix it. i desperately need my laptop for uni! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

hi,

go to device manager and uninstall the keyboard then restart the laptop. see how that goes. hook up a usb keyboard see if that works.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I did that - now some keys are working on the actual laptop keyboard but some still not working at all (backspace, enter, b, + and some others). Also getting occasional repitions of jjjjjjjjj or yyyyyyyy for example when trying to type as if a key is stuck down - but i've looked underneath those keys and they are not stuck down at all. USB Keyboard works. I rang HP tech support and they want me to do a recovery/restore. Although i have all my files backed up I really really don't want to have to go down that road if I don't have to - it's so much hassle. Do you have any other ideas i could try to fix this? Thanks! :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

you could try re-seating the keyboard cable to motherboard meaning remove the cable and re insert it. be careful not to break the zif connector. i do not think reinstalling the os will fix it. i think it is a hardware problem. whats the model number of the hp laptop?

EDIT: i see you said it is only 2 months old so should be under warranty, i would have it fixed under the warranty i would not take it apart you would void the warranty.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If hooking up a external keyboard worked fine, I highly doubt a reinstall of the OS would fix it as oscer1 already said. HP is probably just hesitant to fork out the money to have it shipped back to them. You could have a look at the connection underneath the keyboard but sometimes taking them apart voids the warranty. If its still under warranty, I would probably be firm and make them look at it if you can afford to be without it for a while. My guess would be the connection or the keyboard itself is defective.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

I had the same problem on a Dell, but in my case i tried to clean the keyboard and some water got into the keyboard. I dried it, and after that some buttons weren't working or were typing continously. The only solution was buying a new keyboard, it wasn't expensive but it solved the problem.
In your case you should try the keyboard on another laptop if you can, or if you're afraid you'll lose the warranty, just take it to hp, tell them you tried to fix it, they'll have to replace or fix it eventually.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thank you for all the replies - very helpful! I did think it was a bit odd that they wanted to reinstall the OS.

The HP tech support guy is ringing back tommorow, so I think I will try and push for a repai/fix as I still have the warranty - see if they can replace the keyboard or something? I'll wait until i've spoken to him before attempting to take it apart or anything - if they will take it away and do it best to leave it to them lol

I know I haven't spilt anything on it or anything so it could be down to a fault or something so they might be more likely to take it for repair?

Thank you very much for your help/experience guys - I really appreciate it! :)
Old 08-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

your welcome, hope everyone works out for you.

Closed Thread