Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Internet Explorer Not Working Concerning Windows Updates

This is a discussion on Internet Explorer Not Working Concerning Windows Updates within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am having a problem opening Internet Explorer. First it says" Internet Explorer has stopped working A problem caused the

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #1

Exclamation

I am having a problem opening Internet Explorer. First it says" Internet Explorer has stopped working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is availible." Then a window pops up and says "Problem caused by Windows

This problem was caused by Windows. This program was created by Microsoft Corporation. Microsoft Corporation does not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported.

However, your computer might be missing updates that can help improve its stability and security.

Recommendation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install high-priority updates from the Microsoft Update website.If you don't see any high-priority updates available, then Automatic Update has already installed them on your computer.

Use Automatic Updates to keep your computer up to date.

With Automatic Updates, you don't have to search for updates online or worry that critical fixes for Windows might be missing from your computer. Windows automatically checks for the latest important updates for your computer. Depending on the Automatic Updates settings you choose, Windows can install updates automatically or just let you know they're available.

To learn more about Automatic Updates, read Microsoft Update and other services: Frequently asked questions online. "

Both of those links I can't use becuase they re-open internet explorer, which starts the process all over again. I think this is partially my fault, because I used to say "remind me later" when it came to updates. I am not very computer lingo savvy, but I understand generally where things are. I need any assistance possible, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #2

Have you tried opening "Internet Explorer without Addons"? There should be an icon that says this under Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | IE (no addons). It will attempt to run IE without any of it's addons, just the core program itself. If it works then, you're having a problem with one of the addons that IE is running right now.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #3

Right-o. It works without add ons. Now, how do I fix the add ons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #4

Sorry about the long wait there, I was working after I wrote that and never got another break. So many people with computers not working lately.... Ok if it loaded fine without addons then you need to go into Control Panel | Internet Options | Programs | Manage Addons. In the window that pops up you will see all the addons that currently run with IE, you need to disable them all and then slowly reenable them a few at a time until it give you that error again. At that point you should be able to find which addon is causing the problem. Likely just need to update it and everything should be good. If it can't update then we would have to see if it can just be left turned off. Let me know what it is if you do find the addon in question.
Closed Thread