Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

How to Delete Network Connection

This is a discussion on How to Delete Network Connection within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was trying to add a router (might be beyond me) and attempted to add a Broadband Network Connection in

Old 12-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

I was trying to add a router (might be beyond me) and attempted to add a Broadband Network Connection in the Network and Sharing Center. After I couldn't achieve that, I went back to my old LAN network and would like
to delete the new one that didn't work.

How do I do that?

I don't see any location where it states delete Broadband Network Connection.

It wasn't a Wireless Connection so it's not under there.

It sits in the Dial-Up and VPN wanting to be connected and I can access the Properties box, but don't see anything there that is easily noted as getting rid of it.

Any help would be appreciated?

JD
jdpeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My Guess (but wait for staff since I don't do this often).

Hover over the connection, right click, select 'Properties'.

In the dialog box, you should see an 'Uninstall' button.

If it were my machine I might try that, but again, I'd suggest you wait for staff here for confirmation.
Confounded Also is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Go to Start/Search and type ncpa.cpl and press Enter. This is your Network Connections. Right click the Network Connection you want to remove and choose Delete.

What are you trying to do by Adding a new Connection?
If using an Ethernet cable, you just plug it in and if the other end is plugged into your router, you will have an internet connection.
If you want to add a Wireless Connection, you will need a WiFi adapter and once it is installed, will show up here as a Wireless Connection, you then can look for Available Wireless Connections and choose your Wireless, then type in your WiFi Password.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 06:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks, guys. That worked. Why was I doing that? Short answer. Don't know what I'm doing with this. Was trying to set up a Verizon router and trying to get it to work with Xfinity before I decide whether I wanted to switch services. Have Xfinity now using their modem.

Thought I might have to set up something other than what was there, but, as said, I thought this should be automatic. Perhaps I'm trying to do something that can't be done, or done easily by a router noob.

JD
Old 12-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
I thought this should be automatic
It is automatic.
When you are shipped a router or in most cases a Router/Modem combo from your ISP, it should already come pre-configured for their service. Just plug it into your DSL line or Cable, and plug the Ethernet RJ45 cable in to the router and the other end into your computer.
It would be difficult to compare internet services, unless they used two different cable connections, then you can A/B compare them by replacing the Ethernet cable from one box into your computer to the other cable into your computer. but Usually you would cancel one service to get another.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:14 AM   #6
Registered Member

Although I've read this can be done, I guess the problem is it's not simple to use a Router configured for Fios/Verizon on a Xfinity service. So I'm trying to use the Router as a bridge to or from the modem. Might be beyond me or I'm just confused by how this would work.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You have to give us a more detailed description of your equipment and your ISP service. (ie) is it DSL thru a phone line, or thru a Cable box?
Xfinity should have included their own router/modem package when you signed up for their service. If not, you can contact them and they will send you one for free or at least a small fee.
Verizon is no longer in business and has been swallowed up by Frontier. This router is configured for their service. on the Back of the Router/Modem is a Reset button, that you can use a Pen to reset the Router to defaults and then you can configure it for your current service. You may need to call Xfinity to walk you thru what their configuration is, But if you can get a Router/Modem configured for Xfinity from them, then why would you want to fool with the Verizon modem?