Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

How do I disable links in Windoze 7 RTF editors?

This is a discussion on How do I disable links in Windoze 7 RTF editors? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First, inevitable details: 1) I live in Taiwan and bought an English language version of Windoze 7 (home premium) while

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

First, inevitable details:

1) I live in Taiwan and bought an English language version of Windoze 7 (home premium) while here. I have lived here for six years, so I have never seen another English language copy of 7 and don't know the behaviour of versions sold in other countries.

2) Yes, my software is registered and legal.

3) Yes, I used the search on this site before I posted this, as well as google and other searches.

The problem:

In other Windoze versions (XP, Vista, 2000, et al), if I type or paste an URL into a RTF editor, it will be treated as plain text. But Windoze 7 turns it into an active link, and if I click it with the mouse to edit it, it will open a page in my browser. If I use the keyboard and hit Enter or Space to try and break up the links, it opens the link in my browser. The links can no longer be edited, only deleted entirely.

How do I stop Windoze 7 from doing this? I want to disable this bug, but there is no mention of it in any menu or documentation. Does this happen in other people's copies or versions (e.g. enterprise) of Windoze 7?

At first I thought it was limited to Write/Wordpad, but it also happens in every other freeware RTF editor I've tried - QJot, AbiWord, RoughDraft, CopyWriter and a few others. And this annoying behaviour does not happen in other Windoze OSes, only in 7. I tested the same exact version of those same freeware RTF editors in other OSes without any problems.

No, a plain text editor is not a solution. I need the ability to copy and paste mixed language text from webpages, mixed English and Chinese names and address (and sometimes even other non-Latin languages). A plain text editor is useless because it can only handle one language or font at a time.

No, I don't want to open something as large as Open Office or Softmaker Office, and I neither have nor want the crapware that is Microsloth Office or Microsloth Worse. I'm doing quick and dirty editing and printing of addresses, names and websites for day to day living in Taiwan. Small editors like Wordpad, QJot and others are exactly what I need.

If anyone knows how to kill off that behaviour, I would appreciate hearing it.

Criticism of my manner of writing is not welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Registered Member

I don't like to "bump" posts, but it reached page three with no replies.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi maybe this can help Properly Formatting Articles - Article Submission!
scroll down to deactivate word wrap hope it helps

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread