Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Hibernation woes, doesn't work properly

This is a discussion on Hibernation woes, doesn't work properly within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop is being a pill. About a week ago, I tried to disable hiberation so that it could finish

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

My laptop is being a pill.

About a week ago, I tried to disable hiberation so that it could finish a defrag session without stopping in the middle. (It's set to defrag once a week at 1 am and I don't see how it ever can if it hibernates when I close the lid.) It desperately needed some clean-up, so I spent an entire day checking for viruses, malware, defragging, running CCleaner, etc. Sped it up and fixed a whole lot but in the process, I messed up some settings, apparently. Ever since I did that maintenance, when it goes into hibernation, the keyboard and mouse will NOT wake it up. The power button wakes it, sometimes, but the power button in this computer is tiny, doesn't stick up very far and it a pain for me to press. I want the mouse/keyboard to do the job again so I can save my fingernail. (Why did HP think it needed to be soooo freakin' tiny anyway? LOL! Yet another reason my next laptop will be a Del.)

I've been all over the internet looking for answers...the official Windows help pages were somewhat helpful but I'm still missing something. Yes, in the properties, it's set to allow both the mouse and keyboard to "wake" the computer but neither will do it. The help pages say to contact the manufacturer if only the power button "wakes" up a system. Weird.

This is what I want and no necessarily in this order:

1. If I close the lid, I'd like a user password prompt. (There isn't one now, as I somehow disabled it when trying get the computer to stay on to defrag.)
2. If it goes into hibernation, I'd like the mouse to wake it. I like that hibernation saves your work in progress. I like that it partially shuts things down because this laptop gets hot and it needs a rest. But I'd rather it stay on than lock me out all the time. Therefore, I'd like hibernation to work or be disabled entirely, more like a desktop.
3. Most importantly, I'd like it to be able to defrag in the middle of the night once a week per the schedule. I leave my laptop on and plugged in all day every day, because I use it off and on all day. It is my primary and only computer.

A few specs: I have a laptop purchased in Sept of 10, an HP, running Windows 7, with a touch pad...and the synaptics touchpad driver's program seems to only come up when trying to access my mouse properties via windows. This means most of the instructions for mouse settings via windows worthless because it's not where the instructions say it is.

Hopefully the above is detailed enough but if I missed something, let me know...and thank you in advance for your help! :)

'Bella

PS. I'd also like to disable the scroll feature on the right edge of the touch pad. In the settings, it is set to "not scroll" but the right side scrolls my pages anyway as if I have a wheel there. It makes me nuts. Yeah, you could say not to touch that part but it's not that I can really avoid it. The mouse pad is part of the case, with no edges so I can't see where that cursed scroller is! LOL! Please tell me how to kill that sucker, as it isn't in my synaptic driver settings. ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

Three days later and 49 views, no one has any suggestions for me?

Please help.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, you have most likely corrupted the hiberfil.sys file, to have windows rebuild it.Go to start, search and type, cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

Code:
powercfg -h off
press enter

Restart computer when loaded, open cmd (as shown) type:-

Code:
powercfg -h on
press enter

Now reset your preferred power settings.