Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

HELP!! Restored Alienware Laptop to Windows Factory Settings-- can't connect to web

This is a discussion on HELP!! Restored Alienware Laptop to Windows Factory Settings-- can't connect to web within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I decided I wanted to clean up some of the hundreds of gigs I had on my 600gb HD on

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

I decided I wanted to clean up some of the hundreds of gigs I had on my 600gb HD on my Alienware M17x laptop.

Like a true oaf in this situation, rather than restore the computer by means of the built-in Alienware software--which would restore it to original Alienware factory settings-- I did it by way of the standard Windows 7 restore, which involves the Windows 7 install disc, etc.

What I inadvertently caused was a bit more than expected... for one, I cannot seem to connect to the internet. It appears I lack the drivers needed for the built-in wireless adapter, and with no way for me to connect, I can't install the drivers. I even tried hooking up via ethernet cable straight into the router, but that didn't work. I then tried following instructions and using the registry error to try and fix this issue, but this didn't work.

So I'm pretty stumped. Does anyone have any ideas? I still have my old files from before the restore on my disc (in a partition?), however I don't have any backup points to restore to... I also can't seem to find the windows.old folder. There's just so much going on right now, I feel so overwhelmed with this. Can anybody help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Just go to Dell's website and download your wireless driver to a USB drive. Once on a USB drive move it over to the flash drive.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc Right click the devmgmt results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Device Manager any devices with yellow flags need drivers installed.
As Cheif said, On an internet computer, go to the Dell Drivers site: Drivers & Downloads | Dell US Download the Chipset, Network (Wireless and Broadcom) and any other drivers you need from the Device Manager and save them to a USB Flash Drive and transfer them to this computer. Install chipset first.
Closed Thread