Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Geek Squad bent me over!

This is a discussion on Geek Squad bent me over! within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi there. first time poster, long time reader. you guys do great work. ok, so here's the skinny. i have

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #1

hi there. first time poster, long time reader. you guys do great work.

ok, so here's the skinny. i have a sony vaio laptop i purchased at best buy back in 2007. one of my children decided to leave the laptop outside on a rainy day. i could not get the laptop to power back up, so i took it in to best buy, where i had an extended warranty plan. they had it shipped off to a warehouse somewhere and it took them 2 months to fix the problem. they basically gutted the whole thing, installed a new motherboard, new hard drive, new ram, etc. buuuut, what they forGOT to do, was install the OS!!!

so, circumstances have led me here. i've moved away from where all that happened, and when i brought it in to the best buy here in Farmington, NEW MEXICO, they said they could not help me out. whaaaa>>????

i have no backup or restore disks. i have no original vista OS install disk.

anyone have any ideas of what i can do to get my laptop back up and running? for the love of pete, SOMEbody help me, pleeease!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

You should be able to contact Sony and give them the number on the bottom of the case.
If they are nice they will just ship the disk if not it may be $10 - $20
Old 01-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

i actually did that right after i bought the computer. i tried installing XP due to all the negativity directed at Vista. but the construction of the sata drivers in the computer caused XP to be unable to run. so i had them ship me backup disks (for $80!!!)...which i LOST!!! i've moved four times in 3 years, so they may be in a box somewhere, but i've already looked and can't find them anywhere.

i also tried a torrent i found, but that didn't work, neither.

any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Why did you not contact Geek Squad when you got the computer back minus an operating system, and please don't tell me that when it arrived back you did not try to start it.
You have lost the back up discs?
Go out and purchase an operating system at a computer shop or get a new set from the manufacturer.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #5

it's a long story. when i picked up the computer, we powered it up and no OS was on there. the geek squad guy said they could install it, but it wouldn't be ready until the next day. it was horrible timing, as i was moving to NM that very day.

as i've already purchased the backup disks (that i lost) once, i don't want to pay for them again (partially because i'm living off unemployment at the moment and need to pay off my xmas bills).

i was just hoping someone knew some backwards way of getting a free copy of vista....like some place to download it, burn to disk, and install that way.

i'm using a friend's computer to do these posts.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

We can not help you get another set of disks and can certainly not guide you in any way to obtain an illegal copy by downloading. These OS disks can only come from the manufacturer of a retailer like Best Buy (ouch) or Staples, or NewEgg, etc.

Therefore, since there is no assistance we can give you, this thread will be closed.
Closed Thread