Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Formatting Hard Drives In Vista

This is a discussion on Formatting Hard Drives In Vista within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Just purchased new 1tb hd and installed Vista on it. Old C: is now F: and it is this

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:15 AM   #1

Hi

Just purchased new 1tb hd and installed Vista on it. Old C: is now F: and it is this drive I want to format. Both are S-ATA.

When I try to use the format functions, both right-click and elevated command prompt versions, I'm told the drive is still in use and cannot be formatted.

In elevated command prompt it tries to unmount the drive without success.

In safe mode I get the same messages.

I have tried to delete the contents of the drive but Vista is preventing me from deleting the old system files and directories.

How do I proceed?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
Registered Member

So your new 1 tb drive has Windows Vista installed on it and now its your new C: (or system) drive. Guessing your old drive which is now F: as you named it, is going to be used for data storage. Vista may be using some of the old system files. When installing vista, did you try to just reformat the old drive?

Also, you could always try to run the CD again and do a reformat of that drive only. See what it says. Or you could always use another 3rd party program such as GParted. It's an excellent tool for partitioning, resizing, and reformatting drives to the desired file system.

In any case, I probably won't ask you to proceed with this until you know for certain that vista isn't using any of the old system files on that partition. Was vista also installed on the older drive? Just seems like two separate volumes should not share the same system files on a new install of an OS. I'm curious to see what others may say, so unfortunately, I can't be of to much help. If someone gives the go ahead, try it. Be sure to back up ALL info before doing so though. Sorry, and good luck
Old 01-19-2009, 05:29 AM   #3

Yes the old system drive had the same install of Vista.

I'm going to put it in my other computer which runs XP Pro - hopefully that'll do the trick.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 05:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yeah, check to see if you can on that and check and make sure your Vista PC still works as well. If vista still works fine with that extra drive gone, then you can follow through with the reformat via with a CD (Vista, XP CD) or using the really intuitive easy program Gparted which is freeware and is located here: https://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php. Should be the live CD.

Keep us updated. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #5

Well I ended up using Gparted to delete the partition then went back into Vista and formatted the drive without any problems.

Job's a good'n. Thanks
Closed Thread