Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Files (only "important" ones) disappear from hard drive!

This is a discussion on Files (only "important" ones) disappear from hard drive! within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have two 500gb hard drives in my computer, C and F. The F drive seems to have a

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

Hello,
I have two 500gb hard drives in my computer, C and F. The F drive seems to have a very bad problem: files/folders occasionally just disappear without a trace and with no apparent way to recover them!! The worst part is: the files that go seem to only be ones I've been recently using; since I use my most important files most often, that means my important files (and ONLY important ones) get randomly deleted! This has happened about 2 times since I got the laptop. Here is the worst part:
Just today I went to open a solution in Visual Studio. The solution contained about 5 projects: 3 minor ones and 2 very large ones, which I have been working on for several months. When I went to open the solution, the three minor projects were fine, but the two large ones were completely gone (folders and all files) from the hard drive! These are extremely important and it is critical that I recover them.
Does anyone know of any software which is good at recovering lost/corrupted/fragments of files on a hard drive? Alternatively, is there any software that literally allows you to do a string search on the raw bits of the hard drive? If I can search for some text in the files perhaps I have a chance at recovering some data!
Also: I need to know if it's possible to do a raw copy of an entire partition to another partition (literally byte for byte, not just existing files). I have two 250gb partitions on the F drive, and maybe if I can copy the one with the lost files to the other, I will have a better chance of recovering (since if the files get overwritten I'll still have them on the other partition).

Thanks in advance for ANY help with this, as it is very urgent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread