Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Files Missing after doing Move from Admin profile to newly created profile

This is a discussion on Files Missing after doing Move from Admin profile to newly created profile within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok so my buddy's ancient xp laptop has failing video. I logged onto it as an administrator and shared all

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ok so my buddy's ancient xp laptop has failing video. I logged onto it as an administrator and shared all the users documents. I proceeded to another pc in the house running Vista and created an administrator account with the same credentials as the laptop's then copied (mostly I used copy but for a few folders I used the move command) over the network the primary users profile folder. It took two attempts. It failed to connect the first time but succeeded after I returned to the laptop and disabled simple file sharing and gave the laptops administrator's user account I shared the folders from security permissions to all user folders in question.

I had my friend's girlfriend verify all her pictures were in place on the Vista PC and they were. I felt like "see I do know my stuff". They aren't computer people and have alot of old failing machines I keep going for them. I do this for a living and must have donated a not insignificant amount of time keeping their aging stuff going and I've had a string of having to tell them I simply couldn't make things like HD transcoding and playback run "any more better" or that I couldn't software fix failing hardware on their aging collection of machines. So I was happy for the successful move.

My bud's girl ended up staying on the PC's Admin's profile FaceBooking and reminiscing about the irreplaceable pictures that absolutely needed to be saved from the laptop. The ones of a recently lost loved one the loss of which they were taking quite hard. It was obvious she was happy to still have them and that made me feel good that something finally worked without a hitch. This went on for quite awhile until it got late and the whole time I couldn't stop thinking about getting her stuff off that profile and moved to a Limited user account.

History has taught me again and again the only way to keep my donated time down to a minimum in certain situations is to keep them using limited user accounts. So when she went upstairs I created her a user account on the PC which is running Vista with her name and quickly logged onto and off of it making sure the profile's user account's folders were created.

I logged back onto the Admin account I previously created for the move which matched the credentials of the failing laptop's and navigated to the newly created users desktop folder and copied some stuff from the moved laptop's desktop folder. Success. At this point my buddy who's been tossing back beers for hours now tells me that it's 9:30 he understandably so feels like turning in. It's not like I'm yet again working for free right? I wonder if I was swapping a motor in his car at no charge he would be rushing me out with only a few bolts left to tighten but I understand it seems to him like I'm doing nothing but keeping him from turning in at this point. So I say "give me just another few minutes" not wanting to drag the move out another day.

I selected the four remaining folders in the transferred laptop's user's folder and gave them a move command to the newly created limited users Documents folder instead of putting Pictures in pictures and movies in movies, music in music like I started to do with the desktop folder. Then in the agonizingly slow fashion everything computer related over there always seem to go the transfer window after the UAC move permissions prompts displays that the move is going to take an hour plus but just long enough for him to say "that's it I got to turn in" before flashing to zero and seemingly completing successfully. Then I notice the source folder still contained a full pictures folder and a music folder so I reselected them and gave them the move command again accepting the uac prompts and a do this for all move and replace for files of same name and size.

That seemed to do it, the source folder was empty but I saw to my dismay as my long time friend complained of the few intervening minutes that passed and how he's calling it and turning in that the destination folder was also devoid of the a fore mentioned pictures folder. I say "you don't understand I need another minute" as I switch to the newly created user profile again hoping that possibly in the difference in the My Documents structure between XP and Vista somehow maybe they were written into pictures not documents but they were gone everything was gone and my buddy now kinda pissed at all of HIS time I'm wasting sent me home.

Sorry to be so long winded but I've already dumped so much time into this I was hopping to crowd source another one of these things tonight in the hopes that tomorrow when he inevitably calls after his sure to be angry girl discovers her pictures missing somebody on here has been kind enough to volunteer some thoughts that might stream line the whole what if I try this process I'm facing to attempt a recovery.

I'm wondering if something like Undelete will work on the source folder for files moved to another profile like it very often works for deleted files or any other ideas anyone might have. This was a perfect end to one of those days and may brain seems to be be able to write a little but not think at this point in fact I haven't looked back at what I've been writing so even though it seemed to make sense as I wrote it it might all just be a bunch of gibberish.
Thanks for the read me sleepy now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

You could have summed this up in a lot less words.
Try to recover your files using the free Recuva.
If that fails, try the Free PhotoRec a part of TestDisk.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

Your right that I could of summed that up in a lot less words. I was also attempting to document exactly what I had done while it was fresh in my mind because I was trying to identify what went wrong. I don't believe a simple move command should ever of resulted in a complete loss of data.

While I'm a fan of Recuva and have had success with it in the past this time it as well as another program I've successfully used to undelete photos both reported no recoverable files.
Thanks for taking the time to read that short story and making a good suggestion but it looks like in this case I'm out of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

You can try the Free TestDisk to try and recover your files. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack.
Closed Thread